254xp

gobbypunk

Hi everyone ,I was talking with a mate yesterday who has a 254xp and he says it has a weak spark he has a new plug and lead I am not that good at fixing saws so said I would ask on hear what people thought might be wrong with it so any ideas why it has a weak spark

Thanks Mark

Depends what your interpretation of weak spark is, they work off speed of rotation so you may not get a big blue spark like a points and condenser system, I assume it does not start?  normally if there is something of a spark they will go, if it’s not starting it could well be something else. 
0.3mm air gap and 0.5mm plug gap.

Try sticking your tongue on the plug, pull it over and tell me that spark is weak:scared1:

DO NOT DO THIS - I am joking!!!!

Get an old plug - bend the electrode away from the central electrode - 45 - 60 degrees and try it again. If it sparks then there is probably very little wrong with it. Check the coil to flywheel gap - That is the 0.3mm air gap ADW mentioned but you can take it down a little to help if the magnets are a bit shot (A4 paper is one method), done this a few time on old saws.  

It probably has other issues you can close the plug gap up a little to half what it should and this can help diagnose issues but it is much more likely to be a compression or carb issue!

These saws are well worth doing, 54cc and very light and powerful!

• Like 2