petzl ball lock

Jason James Gairn

It kind of surprises me that manufacturers of ppe and in this case Petzl ; Lets face it , the reputation of this french company is world wide, still somehow allow quality control balls up like the plastic gate issue to need a recall. I mean, this is not a quality control issue in the strict sense. Whether or not the plastic gates were the reason for the recall referred to above, I could never bring myself to use the carabiner. I just was not turned on by the plastic. Not even an expensive polymer. Cheap manufacturing standards aimed at keeping costs down no doubt.I could lose faith in the safety of my day to day working life. I know this sounds bad but somehow I dont think if it had been me I could have allowed such a crucial thing to have slipped thrugh the safety testing net had I been responsible for the deign of the thing at Petzl. Which brings me to the next issue. Too many hands make mistakes. Maybe its a case of accountability in the primary sense of decisions being jointly or even remotely made. I've said too much...Scare mongering and slander are but a small step from here!:icon14:

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I no what you mean, I had the option of using the plastic gate ball lock crabs when I was learning to climb at college, and I really hated them with a passion. The first time I came across the metal gate it just seemed allot nicer and I had to get one. One of my favourite crabs now!!! didn’t the size of the button get slightly bigger with the metal gates as well? :)

Remember it's only one persons observation, but i would wait to see what the manufacturer have to say. There was a recall of certain ones and it might be one that was not returned. INHO it is a great krab, my personal favorite. It does teach us that observation and carefull kit maitenance are essential for our longevity