Is milling hard on saws?

Paddy1000111

Well 40/41... It was just odd, it wasn't him being a "by the book salesman" where they say "It only comes rated up to 40" and that's all you can use on it. On Stihls Blog it says you can run 46" and more. It was more of a case of him saying the new 881 was eco freindly and green and wouldn't work on a mill. Even when I said about using 65" bars with a hyperskip he was saying no. According to him people have been trying to run them without external oilers on big bars??! He told me the only way to make them any good is to port them and upgrade the carb to something adjustable which he then informed me would void the warranty obviously [emoji849]

Just more BS.
Ever see an aux oiler on any of my mills?
Nope.
[emoji106]
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Rough Hewn said:

Just more BS.
Ever see an aux oiler on any of my mills?
Nope.
emoji106.png

Never actually noticed that... I was going to get an external oiler as a matter of course but you don't use one? I assume you have knocked the little oiler lock out pin in so you can use full flow?

Edited by Paddy1000111

I've watched your videos and a load others and I was in no doubt that it's not less powerful than the 880! It seems like their tech is a bit "Old school". Considering that I don't think they have had any experience with the saw I didn't read into it too much. The fact he said it would only run a 40" bar and wouldn't run a 65" hyperskip which would be less resistance than a 40" standard says a lot... 

I would love to give you their number and you can give them what for but considering they know me and by the sounds of it I am the only one who has really enquired about a 881 so they would know who it was I don't want to dig a hole with the local dealership [emoji23] I just won't be buying saws from them

Give him my number if he tells you that crap again.
🤣[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

Give him my number if he tells you that crap again.
🤣emoji106.pngemoji106.pngemoji106.png

Considering that all I will be using them for is picking up oil and stuff from now on to save on postage I don't think they will have the opportunity. The company you recommended to me before will be getting my ~£1300... 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Also on a slightly unrelated topic I've put around 10 tanks through my 200t and I fancied messing with the squish. I took the piston off to be greated with this... Vertical lines on the piston, not feelable with a fingernail but they are there. Theres also an area on both sides where the machine marks have been polished off. What's that about?? 

@spudulike that's not right is it? 😂😭

DSC_0232.JPG

DSC_0231.JPG

Sorry, missed this one. I would say a bit of chip or dust has got down the inlet side forcing the exhaust side of the piston in to the wall thus marking it and the mark on the inlet side is the witness to the dust/chip that got in.

Check the air filter is clean and also the rest of the air-box. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, spudulike said:

Sorry, missed this one. I would say a bit of chip or dust has got down the inlet side forcing the exhaust side of the piston in to the wall thus marking it and the mark on the inlet side is the witness to the dust/chip that got in.

Check the air filter is clean and also the rest of the air-box. 

I have it on both sides of the piston though 😟 It is what it is. I wonder if a little of the hylomar got squished in from the base gasket and that caused it, it's super soft though so I'm not certain. 

Another question. I appreciate you make your money from tuning so if you don't want to answer then I get it but when you have tuned 200t's have you been measuring the squish on each one and custom doing each one or have you found that a certain thickness of gasket/no gasket is right? I'm going to measure it up tomorrow otherwise! 

I also meant to say that the marks look negligible and not worth worrying about. It is highly possible the hylomar caused the mark on the intake side and the mark on the exhaust side is where the piston has pushed against the exhaust port.

It is also possible that the ports may have been slightly rough and have marked the piston but these cylinders are generally well made and will pull 180-200psi when fitted new and OEM.

I will PM you on the squish! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You're a legend! 

On another note, is there any reason why Panther mill kits are ~£200 cheaper than chainsawbarsUK? Am I being dumb and missing something apart from getting 2 chains from chainsawbars UK? 

Also, is there any reason to not get a larger mill, say a 80" and run a smaller bar on it? Say a 64"? It would be nice to have the capacity to tackle anything but using a complete 80" mill all the time seems excessive?

A. Rob.d who runs Chainsawbars.co.uk makes and sells the panther mills.

B. The mill needs to fit the log.
I have several mills, each for a certain size.
My most used is the 60” panther with 54/56”? Bar. Gives a 42”/105cm wide cut.
Over that it’s the 80” panther and 84” bar, cuts up to 6’ wide.
But a big mill is hard to balance on a small log.
[emoji106]

1 hour ago, Rough Hewn said:

A. Rob.d who runs Chainsawbars.co.uk makes and sells the panther mills.

B. The mill needs to fit the log.
I have several mills, each for a certain size.
My most used is the 60” panther with 54/56”? Bar. Gives a 42”/105cm wide cut.
Over that it’s the 80” panther and 84” bar, cuts up to 6’ wide.
But a big mill is hard to balance on a small log.
emoji106.png

Ah, that's a buggr. I have to mill 140cm that I know of but having the capacity to go bigger would have been nice too. I guess I will go with the 60" mill and 64" bar as that's meant to give a 142 cut so that should just do it. 

Price wise it's weird, PM60+64bar as a kit from chainsawbarsUK is 894+vat. From FRjones it's £695+vat. I can't see any difference minus a spare chain and it's definitely a panther mill. 

https://www.frjonesandson.co.uk/products/panther-64-chainsaw-mill-with-gb64-404-063-milling-bar-64/

and 

https://www.chainsawbars.co.uk/product/ppm-60-gb64-panther-horizon-heavy-chainsaw-mill-60150cm-with-gb-64163cm-milling-bar-404-063-180-drive-links-56142cm-max-cut-width/