032AV fitting chain brake

HDAV

Considering my experience rebuilding a 200T recently and the overall cost you're better off with a new echo or a Makita. Run it on aspen and you're golden. At the end of the day if you buy something new from stihl you're going to have a warranty, 2 years for domestic stihl iirc? 

Edited by Paddy1000111

1 hour ago, Moose McAlpine said:

You can get older pro/farmer saws on eBay easily, lots of good used robust saws. I've bought 7 saws off eBay so far, only 2 were new, no issues.

What bar/displacement do you need and what's your budget? 

Guess I need some help to know that 16”+ is 50cc ish 🤷‍♂️

was hoping to spend £150 rather than £400

ms260 upwards I guess 

Edited by HDAV

3 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Trouble is, you could easily spend £150 on a saw and find it needs another £90 in parts then the next year another £50 and bla bla bla. Suddenly spending £300 on a saw that lasts for 5 years is better than a saw that needs constant fettling 

If it was a tool I needed for my job I get that completely so far have managed with a borrow husky and managed with that and a combi polesaw but the 210 mile round trip to borrow the husky from my dad eats into the saving now my sister has moved and has more garden very over grown and in need of a lot of cutting back this summer time seemed right to invest in a saw plus I’m unemployed and bored 🙈

Edited by HDAV

21 minutes ago, HDAV said:

If it was a tool I needed for my job I get that completely so far have managed with a borrow husky and managed with that and a combi polesaw but the 210 mile round trip to borrow the husky from my dad eats into the saving now my sister has moved and has more garden very over grown and in need of a lot of cutting back this summer time seemed right to invest in a saw plus I’m unemployed and bored 🙈

It's complicated. It's a bit like cars, buy an old one and you could find that you could have a money pit with new carbs, fuel pipes, plastics, seals etc unless you're into your classics it can be a massive money pit. Other end of the scale you could get something that is too cheap and doesn't last although you get a warranty. If I'm honest, £150 is a tough budget to work to, not enough to buy something good new, not enough to buy something good old, you're in a middle ground of crappy new and crappy old from what I have seen online price wise 

• Confused 1

I didn’t say it was easy....... I agree it’s like most thing spend the money or have a load of issues and end up spending more, there seems to be a lot of the “refurbished” saws being sold on eBay/marketplace I have my suspicions on the sellers 

if anyone has a decent working saw for sale let me know 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, HDAV said:

So picked up a tidy if well used MS250 with 18" bar for a decent if not amazing price its a well used saw, but complete and working with a sharp (for now) chain and genuine bar and a fully working brake!

Good choice, big enough to tackle most jobs you'll have at home but you can still use it all day, plus I'd imagine spares availability is still pretty good for them as they've had a long run, think you might still be able to buy them new?

If it were mine I think when the bar and chain needed replacement I'd drop down to a 15 or 16 inch bar, 18" is a lot for that to pull. It'll still get the job done however just a bit slower.

11 minutes ago, Darkslider said:

If it were mine I think when the bar and chain needed replacement I'd drop down to a 15 or 16 inch bar, 18" is a lot for that to pull. It'll still get the job done however just a bit slower.

I wanted the longer bar for reach in a particular job but yeah I might look to get a shorter bar and chain. A  stihl 2in1 file is first on the list..... parts seem fine and common to others models think they have been replaced now?

Edited by HDAV

Still a few new ones kicking round such as this one 

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

CHAINSAW STIHL MS 250. STIHL Oilomatic saw chain pitch/type. 325" Rapid Super. ORIGINAL STIHL GUIDE BAR...

So I think they were probably in production until recently when the 251 superseded it. 

• Like 1