Splicing workshop at short notice

nod

Hello Folks

Just wanted to give you a heads up on the possibility of a double braid rope splicing workshop to be held between 2-4 February in north Buckinghamshire. For it to go ahead I need to get confirmed attendees as soon as possible, up to 12 people.

The cost will be £80 for the day.

The reason why it's short notice is that the course will be headed by Puk (Christian Kruck) & I only received confirmation of his UK dates two days ago. Puk is without doubt a foremost splicer of arb products in Europe & a fountain of knowledge. Many of you may have rubbed shoulders with him as he's been our resident splicer at trade shows since about 5 years now. Puks knowledge & understanding of ropework came directly from the pioneer of arb rope splicing, Stanley Longstaff who for many years was consultant to Samson ropes in the USA.

Currently Puk does not run workshops in his native Germany so this really is a rare opportunity to learn from one of the best.

If tools are required they will either be provided or can be brought at a cost price of £85.

Regards

Nod

Nod, would this course mean you can splice your own kit or you can do anybody's as a certified splicer?

Hi Deerman

For the moment I'm not massively interested in getting into a debate about what it is to be deemed competent, that has gone around the block a bit with no satisfactory conclusion. Only to say that it seems that noise about splicer competency comes from individuals who have neither spliced modern arb ropes or have an interest in learning. Which in turn leads me to question their motivation, if only to myself.

We are working on a program that will offer a traceable path of competency based on training, consolidation, academic knowledge & rope testing. As & when this is completed (which I hope will be in the first half of this year)I'm sure that it will be discussed here as well as at the Treeworker website.

I have discussed this topic far & wide, and with people involved with our industry from HSE, AA, ISA, registered testing bodies to climbers, trainers etc. You name them & I've pretty much talked to them & the one thread that comes through it all. Not really interested! The reasons may be varied & that's fine but there is no mystique about rope splicing; it's been around pretty much since rope was first used & it's as strong , if not stronger than tying knots, if done correctly.

Our industry currently has no competency program for splicing arb ropes. So how can someone with no competency question another who has, at least, learnt the process to produce a splice; whether that be from a book or through a practical workshop. What's the alternative? Should we go back to tying terminations? Should we bin our rope tools? And start using natural crotches, along with the extra fight that that involves? I question the competancy of anyone, who charges money as a Thorough Examiner of Arb equipment, who doesn't have the understanding to inspect a rope splice without it carrying a CE mark on a tag. After all, we are inspecting how it looks now, not when it was first unwrapped! And, if there's no spliced termination on a climbing rope should we be inspecting the users competancy in termination knot tying? And its appropriateness for the task, based on current best practice of course!.......

There are many questions that could be asked. I often question the reason for the question in the first place & find this negates the need to ask!

So I guess that the answer to the question could be that, having attended a one day practical training workshop in anything. Would you hope to be competant & certifiable? Or would you hope to have the gubbins with which to become competant & certifiable? I'm sure that we each have our own answer to that.

Craig

No previous experience is required to attend our splicing workshops.

Tim

Not sure if you wrote me but I've not received any PM

Cheers

Nod

:thumbup1:

PS...

CE marks, EN standards? To my knowledge there are no companies in the UK who have attempted to consolidate the spliced termination issues that exist for us within our industry. Certainly not in the same way as Drayer, Freeworker & Poel have done in Europe; whereby they have paid certification costs & tested hand splices to EN1891 termination standards. We have undergone these tests in the past but not through a notified body, so I am more than confident that our work meets the criteria. But this is not enough. (The past 12 months have been interesting to say the least; too much to go into here, sorry.) We, Treeworker, are well on our way to CE certification for a number of products including hand splices of all the most common climbing ropes in the market.