Chainsaw advice

Iwanp

Hi guys, I’m after some advice on what to go for before I buy a new chainsaw and find I made a mistake. I’ve had a ms230 for a few years but is now struggling and given up. Bought a cheap 62cc SGS saw to get me through whilst my 230 went for repair/service last year, and its already struggling to cut through logs.

I have quite a few logs to get through. I don't really use it to fell any trees, just cut the lengths for the splitter. Probably 15-20” would be maximum but with only a few.

any advice would be great! Cheers

Hi, Others might give better advice, but my similar experience was wen my 023 (230) let go I was told that the amount of cutting was more that the "hobby/amateur" saw was designed for. 
I purchased a new 261 , from the "pro" range and it hasn't missed a beat. Pushes a 16" bar with ease. M-tronic and so once started just ticks over....I've not had trouble, others may have different opinions.

Good Luck

Bob

• Like 1

£350 ish mark, I do cut a fair amount, nothing thats huge, just general tidying and log cutting on the farm.

M-tronic - are these the ones you plug into a computer? A local dealer did mention about plugging some to a computer. First I’ve heard.

13 minutes ago, Iwanp said:

£350 ish mark, I do cut a fair amount, nothing thats huge, just general tidying and log cutting on the farm.

M-tronic - are these the ones you plug into a computer? A local dealer did mention about plugging some to a computer. First I’ve heard.

M-tronic is an electronic controlled carb.

I've just looked and MS261 new from FR Jones is £603 a bit outside the budget...my bad. Sorry.  

The stihl mtronic system is an automatically self tuning carburettor.
You don’t need a computer.
Your dealer has one.
Basically it adjusts to air flow and fuel mix.
So you can clog your filters up and it still runs.
Everything else is normal.

I’d reccomend a stihl ms261 with an 18” bar.
IMG_1604492810.779113.jpg
Not cheap, but quality isn’t cheap and it will cut wood for years and hold a resale value.
[emoji106]
  • Like 1

18 to 20 inch wood, if you want to cut it quickly then you need power and

a sharp chain, something in the 60cc range,

if you want to be more economic and have the time to run a less powerfull saw

then at least 50 cc 's would be required.

The best bang for your buck would be a Makita EA5600, its 54cc 's and will

do what you want without issue.EA5600, they are the same saw in different colours,

the guy using it, @shavey is on here, its being compared to a 60cc saw in the video.

Give him a call or send a PM, he sells these saws, might even have a good used one, he knows his stuff and is decent to deal with.

Edited by Echo