Cylinder wear

Snedasawrus

Evening

I’m about to replace the piston and cylinder on my 461. I have been given a used but original cylinder and I’ve ordered a meteor piston and rings. I’m just wondering if this is still in good enough condition to use? I hope these pictures are good enough to see. Also what gasket sealant would people recommend to use when fitting a new cylinder and exhaust gasket?

Thanks

IMG_0284.jpg

IMG_0287.jpgIMG_0284.jpg

It looks okay but hard to tell from pictures. When you run a finger around can you feel and scratches, a finger is sensitive enough to feel a ridge of half a thou.

Is that light colour by the on the head from running weak or just an ephemera of the flash?

When you get the new piston stick a new ring in the bore, keep it square with the piston and measure the gap at several places, if the change is a lot then the bore is worn.

I haven't come across worn, as opposed to ruined, nikasil bores but the plating is only 20thou thick. I am told concrete cutters often wear it through to the aluminium.

• Like 1

I use a wipe of Hylomar blue or equivalent on base gasket and nothing on exhaust gaskets. Can you feel the ridges above the exhaust port with the edge of your nail ? They don't look too bad try rubbing the cylinder with some 240 and WD.

Edited by peatff
spelting

Thanks for your advice. Yes the light at the top the the cylinder is the flash of the camera. There is a few very faint scratches on the sides of the low end. But not deep enough to feel with your nail . I will rub it down with 240 and Wd and measure with new rings like you said.