Some people! beech reduction, too much?

Tony Croft aka hamadryad

Reminds me of a Beech reduction I did a few weeks back, was relatively short for a beech at about 45ft ish maybe a little rebut the canopy started from the very bottom, after the chat I had with the customer about doing a good job and his concerns about not wanting to kill the tree I expected him to be very impressed by my masterful silky target pruning efforts to achieve a 30% reduction. Throughout the first half the group dies checked with him that it was fine the when about half the tree was done ( the portion facing his side) and I was about to start going over the top, he said the tops needed to come down to where the sides currently were then the sides cutback even harder to match!

I could have gone home and left the job at this point I was so angry after bit of discussion I had the 201t sent up and savaged the lot, the customer loved it. We took two brimmed loads of chip away in the landy, had the job been done correctly I expected about 1/2 a load .

I've drawn the conclusion that it's nearly impossible to be allowed to carry out a good quality reduction, unless it's a TPO job and you can use that to justify your work.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reminds me of a Beech reduction I did a few weeks back, was relatively short for a beech at about 45ft ish maybe a little rebut the canopy started from the very bottom, after the chat I had with the customer about doing a good job and his concerns about not wanting to kill the tree I expected him to be very impressed by my masterful silky target pruning efforts to achieve a 30% reduction. Throughout the first half the group dies checked with him that it was fine the when about half the tree was done ( the portion facing his side) and I was about to start going over the top, he said the tops needed to come down to where the sides currently were then the sides cutback even harder to match!

I could have gone home and left the job at this point I was so angry after bit of discussion I had the 201t sent up and savaged the lot, the customer loved it. We took two brimmed loads of chip away in the landy, had the job been done correctly I expected about 1/2 a load .

I've drawn the conclusion that it's nearly impossible to be allowed to carry out a good quality reduction, unless it's a TPO job and you can use that to justify your work.

imo this should be addressed at the quote stage

imo this should be addressed at the quote stage
Yes, writing size of cut, length of branches and % removed, from which side of tree, easy enough to put on an estimate.

hama when you do return, the regrowth will be of interest, but more telling will be 1 signs of sunscald, 2 wound closure, 3 position of sprouts--internodal or nodal, growing wildly or efficiently. Green leaves are nice, but sound wood is key, unless the assignment is to increase habitat for fungi. :biggrin:

Yes, writing size of cut, length of branches and % removed, from which side of tree, easy enough to put on an estimate.

hama when you do return, the regrowth will be of interest, but more telling will be 1 signs of sunscald, 2 wound closure, 3 position of sprouts--internodal or nodal, growing wildly or efficiently. Green leaves are nice, but sound wood is key, unless the assignment is to increase habitat for fungi. :biggrin:

I actualy get very little internodal sprouting form what i would term a normal reduction, thats kind of the point, and am more than capable of deciding when to encourage such growth with a harder cut, for example retrenchments.

I will be back to this tree as soon as Poss.:thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

The trouble is it was I spoke with the guy at length And he agreed a lot and basically said he would leave me to do what was best...Until halfway through the day! Give me takedowns and Connifer topping any day!

The trouble is it was I spoke with the guy at length And he agreed a lot and basically said he would leave me to do what was best...Until halfway through the day!
No good when ya trust em and they turn on ya like that. Typically it's good to get it in writing but I skip that step at times and have got stuck like that--ruins the day it does. :cursing:

Tony maybe we are using terms differently, but in what i call retrenchment pruning i would typically only want to see sprouts at nodes. some of those nodes may have no laterals at present however, as they were previously shed...:wink: but yeah sometimes internodal growth response is a whole lot better than none.

Hi I think it looks nice and neat , you did a good job . I know it's really hard when a customer does not like what you have done , it can be a real blow when you have worked really hard on a job and given it your best and did what they asked for . Luckily it happens only very rarely so take hart and by the time you have finished your next job and have a happy customer smiling from ear to ear ,the memory of this one will soon fade into the distance .

All the best littletree:thumbup::thumbup:

Tony maybe we are using terms differently, but in what i call retrenchment pruning i would typically only want to see sprouts at nodes. some of those nodes may have no laterals at present however, as they were previously shed...:wink: but yeah sometimes internodal growth response is a whole lot better than none.

Oh really?

What do you think retrenchment pruning is for?

How would you, why would you be doing it?

Why would inter nodal sprouting not be desired in retrenchment pruning?