Help - Consultant experience!

I have tried previously to get a position as trainee consultant, but lacking experiance has held me back.

I have no CAD skills, no experiance of report writing, BS5837 reports etc, is there anyone out there that could offer me a position to work towards a consultancy full time position?

my current lead climbers position does not enable progression nor the possibility of gaining the experiance or CPD to work towards it.

I would work for free in an on/off basis, holidays weekends etc as any skills experiance gained will help me progress my Degree work.

idealy however i seek a fulltime position as a trainee consultant, or climber with progresion possible, with a view to having a bias in mycology and tree/root safety assesments.

I need a job that will no longer hold me back or hinder me, one that allows no cieling to my progress and experiance oportunities. i feel fustrated and caged and feel a great desire to progress, but I need help and support as financialy I am incapable of doing this alone.

I was in the same boat as you for a long, long while. Always told you lacked the 'qualification' and 'experiance'. It seems like no-one wants to pay for you to get trained up. So i did a tech cert course through Home and being trained by dave dowson and andy summerly is a must. the CAD I just downloaded google sketch up (its free) and played around with it till i had some kind of idea how to do bits and bobs. Once i had the qualifications i got the job as a consultant + tea boy :001_tt2:. Thats what i had to do at least. :thumbup:

Edited by Ian Flatters

I am in a similar place hamadryad. I have done the tech cert and some freelance survey work for a number of companies, but finding someone to take you on and allow you to develop step by step is pretty hard, particularly at the moment as most consultancies just don't seem to have that much work on due to low demand for development site surveys.

On the CAD front: i have been teaching myself recently on a friend's old 2000 version. I recently found some software that I am probably going to buy soon called TurboCad. It appears to do everything that AutoCad does but for much less money. The Professional version is still almost a grand, but the 'deluxe' version is only £79 and seems to do all we would need it for i.e. 2D drafting. Check it out: TurboCAD Software - Premium CAD software for Professional 2D and 3D Design

You can download a free 15 day trial to see how you get on with it.

I am in a similar place hamadryad. I have done the tech cert and some freelance survey work for a number of companies, but finding someone to take you on and allow you to develop step by step is pretty hard, particularly at the moment as most consultancies just don't seem to have that much work on due to low demand for development site surveys.

On the CAD front: i have been teaching myself recently on a friend's old 2000 version. I recently found some software that I am probably going to buy soon called TurboCad. It appears to do everything that AutoCad does but for much less money. The Professional version is still almost a grand, but the 'deluxe' version is only £79 and seems to do all we would need it for i.e. 2D drafting. Check it out: TurboCAD Software - Premium CAD software for Professional 2D and 3D Design

You can download a free 15 day trial to see how you get on with it.

Just download from a file share site......sod em........these companies shouldn't take the p**s and charge a fortune for their software.!

yes I am aware of this one, and though i will apply, I dont know if I am really going to match the experiance level of other candidates so keeping my options open.

That is a dream job for sure, but imagine how many will apply!

5k for cad plus 600 a year! no wonder it isnt an everyday application!

Going to sit the tech cert exams in sep am doing an online degree now ( first year), tech cert will fill the gap.

It aint easy to get progression in this game, its too costly in cpds at 250 a day training cpd events, 1300 a year in degrees, 1000 a year on books what chance have we got?

yes I am aware of this one, and though i will apply, I dont know if I am really going to match the experiance level of other candidates so keeping my options open.

That is a dream job for sure, but imagine how many will apply!

5k for cad plus 600 a year! no wonder it isnt an everyday application!

Going to sit the tech cert exams in sep am doing an online degree now ( first year), tech cert will fill the gap.

It aint easy to get progression in this game, its too costly in cpds at 250 a day training cpd events, 1300 a year in degrees, 1000 a year on books what chance have we got?

Be positive Hama!!! From what i've seen on here you can certainly talk passionately and informatively about our work. Put a tip top cv together and sell yourself!!! You have as much chance as anybody.....go for it mate!:thumbup: