Mitox 4116 (OK I know your laughing)

cygnusnsf

On 27/05/2020 at 18:51, spudulike said:

Not enough vowels......must be Welsh.

Anyway, pop the muffler off, if seized, it will be scored up and not look smooth. If it is scored then you can replace the parts but you also have to understand what caused the parts to fail. This could be the owner not understanding that two strokes MUST have two stroke oil introduced to the fuel in a 50:1 ratio, fuel to oil. On a newer machine, this is probably the reason but don't rule out the carb fiddler that leans down the H screw with no idea what he is doing.

Parts - DIY spare parts do Mitox parts but take it from me, replacing the parts is just one part of the repair, the rest is a full check to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Anyway, WTF is a Mitox 4116 anyway?

I thought a lot of Mitox machines needed a 40:1 (or stronger!) oil mix, if this one's been run on 'ordinary' 2 stroke that could explain a lot? 

2 minutes ago, spudulike said:

Not this old chestnut. You always use the ratio recommended by the oil manufacturer and not some random figure given by the machine manufacturer. 50:1 for most major oil manufacturers.

Well I never! Does that include Screwfix/B&Q specials too? The only reason I haven't got a shed full of Titan gardening tools is cos I didn't want to have two different types of fuel on the go, I always use good quality 2T oil so maybe now I can finally buy that chainsaw on a stick next time I've got a voucher to spend?

4 hours ago, spudulike said:

Rush who.....is that where I Exit Stage Left and enter the unrest in the forest, Plus ca change Plus c'est la mem chose, I guess living in the limelight approaches the unreal.....etc!

Now where's my Little Mix album!  

Ever heard of Mary Black? Babes in the Woods etc

LOL - thanks all appears the chinese OEM Engine was wrong size - so does appear to be landfill visit for this little saw - I'll try looking around but initial search proving fruitless - Thanks again for the help and comments. RIP Neil Peart.

I'll go back to listening to "The Trees" -

Edited by cygnusnsf
  • Like 2

The 4116 i looked at had 'easy start' spring mechanism. It just might be ok even if it feels like it doesn't have compression.  Pull the muffler off and check piston as said earlier. ...

A bit more time to explain - the 'easy start' thing is just a torsion spring that goes between the pull cord pulley and the engine flywheel, its like the spring used to retract the pull cord only bigger in all dimensions. It's purpose is to smooth out the resistance you feel when you pull the starter cord. Which means you won't feel the engine reaching compression, it will just feel soggy. Personally,  I hate it. And it's another thing to break. On the plus side,  the theory is that once the engine has gone past compression once the spring releases is energy quickly so the engine is rotating faster during the next firing cycle. .... maybe. ....

None of this says your saw isn't broken. But if it pops with some fuel mix down the plug hole I'd say there is some hope. You might be into carb cleaning or fuel line issues. Let us know what the piston is like, a picture will allow a proper judgement.

HTH,

bmp01

Spud - here you go chap, this is what a Mitox 4116 looks like ?

Dammed thing made my hand dirty when I dragged it out from where it was,  been there that long. 

And yes, it was broken and free and I got suckered into fixing it. Part seized, it didn't get any new bits, just the rough edges smoothing off - and that means I can't flog it as a runner really,  not worth the aggro. 

15907633635591782330386.jpg

1590763424941-1652487398.jpg

• Like 3