Wood slab required for desk frame

KiwiInLondon

On 26/04/2020 at 19:57, trigger_andy said:

Wood will naturally twist and warp to some degree, regardless how you dry it. (Im a novice and still learning) But you can minimize this by heavily weighting or strapping the timber to limit how much warping you'd get.  So if you where to buy one green slab and dry yourself and did not know how to dry it properly then you run the danger of badly warping, cracking, splitting or checking the board.

Thanks for explaining, I understand 

On 26/04/2020 at 19:57, trigger_andy said:

No, Kiln drying will not prevent insects burrowing their way though. Why would it? 

I would have thought in fact i read/heard someone saying the kiln drying process reduces the chance of it

On 26/04/2020 at 19:58, trigger_andy said:

Take the slab to a shop that has one. You might get lucky and they only charge you £50 to pass it though their planer. ;) 

If only I had my own transport.. Not having a car is seriously beginning to take its toll! AS an example I visited a yard in Epping a couple of weeks ago which took me 4+ hours to get there (bus > train > tube > long walk!). For understandable reasons i'm being advised to come back again to pick a board, however it seems a bit pointless to go and look when all the boards are stacked in the same way they were cut - when I saw the person last they remarked about how much effort it would take to access the ones I said were about the size I was interested in. Clearly he's running a business but as a potential customer who's still going thorough the learning process being told that he had work to do was a bit off-putting too..

On 27/04/2020 at 09:23, Forest2Furniture said:

Guys, none of this playground bickering is of any use to the original poster and doesn't give an outsider a good view of our profession or those who work in it.

On the bright side it provides to a limited extent some light-hearted form of entertainment which is much-needed at this time (not to mention my situation!)!

• Like 3

On 27/04/2020 at 12:13, Forest2Furniture said:

If the original poster hasn't been scared off and does decide to come back to this thread, I suggest he contacts these guys, they're about 15 miles from him and are likely to be able to help him out as they mill their own stuff too.

Thanks for that, will look into it :)

On 26/04/2020 at 05:34, trigger_andy said:

Morning and welcome to the forum. If you're planning on making more projects with wood then there is a sub-forum on here where you can ask questions and post up your projects. Always nice to see what people are doing. 

I've posted something here... 

https://arbtalk.co.uk/forums/topic/120255-desktop-project/

• Like 1

15 hours ago, KiwiInLondon said:

On the bright side it provides to a limited extent some light-hearted form of entertainment which is much-needed at this time (not to mention my situation!)!

Les and I are just messing about with each other. He's a good lad and likes a bit of banter too. Some people might get their panties in a bunch about it but Im glad you took it for what it was. :)