Certificate of Competence in Chainsaw and Related Operations Review Consultation

puwer

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah i have worked for schools and companys estate agents insurance and H&S etc nptc are some times asked for but not required to get each job im sure some will want nptc.

Instead of wingeing at people who are not qualifed winge at training providers. aimed at no one.

Its one of them things ill do last because its not the most important why waste money before your business is working. :bawling::cheers:

oh no they don't, and i've done loads of council work, i've done MOD work as well all they look for is insurace,health and safety policies and risk assesments, no big client has ever insisted we have nptc tickets and thats in 15 years.

Generally thats been the way I see it to, but last year I was involved in a big MOD contract, first day on site the H&S bloke - clerk of the works whoever, asked to see our CIS cards? Which isn't really relevent to us. He then found out about nptc so wanted to see those.

There was an upset as when the contract was qouted and accepted they never asked for such details to be shown, so day 1 we got on with the job on the understanding that day 2 we bring our tickets, including i'd and proof of address.

All of us brought our nptc tickets, but some of us did'nt have proof of address, as some of the climbers come from all over the country.

We had to wait hours whilst this was being sorted out, in the end we left the site/job leaving some of the accrued debris, and they were left with a hefty bill for wasting our time.

It was a worrying sign though, and not good for said company although I do not think they were to blame, more the incompetency of the mod staff, as all info could of been provided if asked at qoute stage.

Again I ecountered the same problem when the clerk of works at a local college asked to see our insurance, and relevant qauls. this was 3 hours into the job!!!!!

I told him he should of sorted this out before for ever got on site! To which he had no reply.

Not that any of these clerks or HSE bods no what nptc tickets are, most of them see the card and think it means we can carry out any tree related task, as there not aware of individual units.

People with no quals imo have no place in this biz other tha dragging brush...

As for training providers lower your fees!

I got the quals purely to improve my chances of getting work. So the cost of getting them is worth it.

All i'm confused on is this whole issue around re-assesment.

People with no quals started this business they the ones who taught you.

from them this industry was born all the companys i know were trained by unqualified climbers who have been doing it for 50 odd years.

quals mean nothing other than you passed a 1 day assesment whoopey.

The only reason why qualifed climbers dont like it is because they wasted alot of money. Having nptc gives you no more right to cut a tree than some one with out them.

Competent climbers are easy to spot they are the ones working all the time.:wave:

All this talk of nptc i think im going to bite the bullet and do only the main ones for now 30-31-38-39 i guess it does look more professional and i should stop being a squeeky mcbumcheeks lol.

oh no they don't, and i've done loads of council work, i've done MOD work as well all they look for is insurace,health and safety policies and risk assesments, no big client has ever insisted we have nptc tickets and thats in 15 years.

Lots of people seem to be hood winked into thinking you MUST have nptc tickets, you don't.I wonder where these rumors started,it wasn't the HSE thats for sure!

In priciple I think nptc tickets are a good thing don't get me wrong, my problem is the expence, and the fact that some in the industry will have you think nptc certs are the be and end all of arb training

Well, Up here in the Mids I've worked large jobs for local CC, Education authority and Private colleges all wanted copy's of NPTC Certs + chapter 8 were relevant and insaurance. I think its changing since the habit of employing dedicated H&S Officers.