MS261 M-Tronic Build

Heavy Oil Saw

37 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Max revs should be between 13800 and 14200 .  If you rev a saw with no bar and chain you can be privileged to see the clutch come off and shoot up the workshop at a rate of knots ! 

I almost wrote the same but the 261 has an inboard clutch so it will only wedge itself against the drum locking it up nicely!!! Never been there:blushing:

• Like 1

For some reason I went from 13-14,000 on the tacho to remembering 17-18,000 in my head, went back out and annoyed the neighbours once again, and your right. My tacho also freezes at a high number, it’s a digital one, at idle it jumped to 10,000, froze, then resets back, my head hurt when that happened as I realised why the clutch was engaging and there was little I could do to tune it.
Couldn’t get the clutch to stop, but I wasn’t trying too hard with my stick (not in the video), not in the mood for loosing fingers. Looking at the video I took, it does seem it is being dragged round, maybe a b&c will cure it. The springs will be renewed anyway as they are beginning to wear. Bought the wrong chain brake cover, so that’s on order as well with the springs.
Chain oiler works, and no leaks from either tanks, my two biggest worries. It runs, and seems to run well.

Loads wrong with this, but I’ll take it. Been doing it 18 odd years now, chip shop cowboy as [emoji23].
In future I’ll jot down what I’m seeing, supposed to be seeing, instead of remembering.

9 hours ago, Heavy Oil Saw said:

Once I’ve got the clutch problem sorted, side cover fitted and a b&c, I’ll see if I can find some wood to cut

The clutch will always engage if you don't have a bar and chain fitted, the added friction of the chain will stop it even with no brake.

The clutch will always engage if you don't have a bar and chain fitted, the added friction of the chain will stop it even with no brake.

Thank you, I’ll get a b&c, but that isn’t a priority at the moment, for two obvious reasons to myself [emoji23]. Looking at the way the drum was spinning, it was just free wheeling any which way with no load.

12 hours ago, Heavy Oil Saw said:

For some reason I went from 13-14,000 on the tacho to remembering 17-18,000 in my head, went back out and annoyed the neighbours once again, and your right. My tacho also freezes at a high number, it’s a digital one, at idle it jumped to 10,000, froze, then resets back, my head hurt when that happened as I realised why the clutch was engaging and there was little I could do to tune it.
Couldn’t get the clutch to stop, but I wasn’t trying too hard with my stick (not in the video), not in the mood for loosing fingers. Looking at the video I took, it does seem it is being dragged round, maybe a b&c will cure it. The springs will be renewed anyway as they are beginning to wear. Bought the wrong chain brake cover, so that’s on order as well with the springs.
Chain oiler works, and no leaks from either tanks, my two biggest worries. It runs, and seems to run well.

Loads wrong with this, but I’ll take it. Been doing it 18 odd years now, chip shop cowboy as emoji23.png.
In future I’ll jot down what I’m seeing, supposed to be seeing, instead of remembering.

Looks good to me, you should be pleased with yourself with that.

I often sit and worry about stuff long after building or rebuilding something. Little things about the build will often play on my mind.

• 3 weeks later...

Got the makeover/post 2016 chain brake cover and clutch springs today. Needed the new type of cover as I bought a 2nd hand chain sprocket cover, which wouldn’t fit the pre 2016 chain brake cover.
90557657f3ae1eef6a35ea4f4a45dbcb.jpg
24f05942447e7cf6de522b39aa3fc9ca.jpg
The clutch springs I fitted seem to of stiffened it up a bit, not as much flex when trying to spread the shoes by hand. Also a little wear as spotted by@htb in an earlier post. Here’s the old springs
09458ef3fd77b661c915d2a51910b7d9.jpg
All that is needed now is a bar and chain, thinking 15” Oregon Speedcut for both. Any suggestions for a better alternative. Not looking for top notch stuff like Sugihara.