How much for a level HiLux of well-seasoned hardwood in Mendip?

wanstronian

Th

Do you want them stacked in the shed at the bottom of the garden, via that alleyway where I can skin my knuckles sir? And yes, it would have been handy if you'd moved your car before I arrived, we did agree on 9.30 after all. Oh, had you intended to make room in the shed before I arrived? You don't have the money right now, O.K. I'll call back later when you've been to the cash machine at Tesco's. You forgot to mention that you wanted a sack of kindling? O.K. I'll bring it when I come back for the money. What's that, sorry I misheard you. Never mind, keep the sodding logs & phone someone else next time!

:congrats::congrats:

i thought it was just me!!!

i sell 1m3 for £70 would like to get £80 should be £100 imo

• 1 year later...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am with the majority on here, £80 for a hilux load is good value. i would expect a load that size to be in the region of £100

I wish it would sell for £100 a cube round here, in my opinion it is worth it, but folk groan about the prices now, and when your nearest competitor is doing transit tipper loads for £100 it is hard to justify any more.

I have noticed prices do seem to vary a lot around the country though

Rob.

Would like to charge £80 cube, just dont think my yorkshire folk would pay that.

Customers do need educating on what is involved in firewood production though.

Back to my post yesterday, how do the lads in Yorkshire who are buying in your cordwood at £45 m3 roadside make money selling logs if you can't get £80 m3 for logs ?

This post started 2 years ago and people still cant get £80 a metre. If it costs £60 in materials and takes two hours to cut and deliver you cant do it for £80 can you. it makes no difference what people are prepared to pay if everyone charged £100 they would have no choice would they. For £80 you may as well stay in doors and break even rather than show a loss.

I buy my timber standing, the owner of the woodland seeing that I am selling seasoned at £80 m3 has decided I'm making too much money out of him, so he has now got a team of contractors to fell, extract, split and deliver firewood at £50 m3. They are a team of three, tractor & forwarder, splitter, tipper, and they charge an hourly rate, now how can he be making money out of that?

This post started 2 years ago and people still cant get £80 a metre. If it costs £60 in materials and takes two hours to cut and deliver you cant do it for £80 can you. it makes no difference what people are prepared to pay if everyone charged £100 they would have no choice would they. For £80 you may as well stay in doors and break even rather than show a loss.

Well said, but getting everyone to charge the true value is nigh on impossible, always someone trying to make a quick cheap buck, one guy i supply was offered 1m3 bags of dry oak for 40 quid delivered, i told him best he buy it as i could not compete with that, may have lost a customer me thinks. found out it is a local lad that has taken a couple of dead oaks down, will the customer come back when this cheap supply runs out, i cant afford to lose customers but cant work for a loss either.

Rob.

Ps, i struggle to get £60 a cube round here for DRY oak.

with the price variance being so extreme, over 100% in some cases, I still cant help but think that many are STILL referring to the price they get for a builder's tonne bag as a 'cube' or cubic metre when it in fact is more like half give or take (as weve been through how many times now??)

more than just being annoying from a discussion point of view, that's what kills the 'street value' as a cube from one person might only be a true half a cube from another, and the prices actually being equal or indeed the perceived value for money reversed