New 38 assessment

kipperfeet

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

haha! id just be happy to get involved!!

il be honest, the system is a joke. but its the only system thats considered in the industry. employers always ask for nptc's, ive neva landed a job from a two year national diploma!

thats why im trying to get into it, to make it a better place for all of us. its no good just siting there and moaning about it!

lets be honest, a two day felling course doesnt make a pro, but its a start.

what ooohhhh one and all Happy new year, lots of snow, and sunny too.

new 38 is a breeze, the only slight hickup is the ident needs a bit of tweeking, but worth wile add in.

as for all those worries about spiking eachother to death etc, what are you all worrying about???

spiking has been a requirment for many years, it should have been taught, and was not, it should have been assessed and was not by many.

spike rescue was always my fave 'assessor chosen' assessment esp if a bit wet, and 3 person rescue my 2nd fave.

it adds no time at all if any thing it shortens it, if anything what adds time is students who haev not been taught or dont turn up with the gear. i am a tad impatient about this, its in there it should be done.

opps rant over, but that bit is a breeze.

as for using the dummies, we have an interesting dicotomy there the nptc assessment sheduel says

‘The casualty’ must be a trained climber, but does not necessarily have to hold a certificate of competence in tree climbing

and aerial rescue. However, the assessor must be satisfied that the operation will be conducted safely, (risk assessment)

and we have been told catagorically you cannot use a dummy,

yet

other bodies for whom we train/assess insist on dummies being used?? go figure.

so we have some pricy rescue dummies that are not fully utilised??

ho hum

these are what we have and are very good

Products | Ruth Lee Ltd.

cheers

kev

We did our pole rescue part on our CS38 course today , it was not to bad just careful spiking past the casualty looking at your steps then working out all the set up ,it did take some time for us all to do it but we all got there in the end and down in one piece .

We were lucky today the snow kept in the sky it was a really nice day the sun was out and no wind just a nice thick layer of snow on the ground. yesterday was a differnt story lets hope tommrow stays the same as today for our last day of training .

Littletree:001_smile:

Yep, i agree Kev, we have always trained for pole rescue's but never insisted on it during assessment.

I will see how the assesments go on Saturday.

Just been making an ident booklet up, but will wait for the leaves to return and make a really good one with pressed leaves then.

Having read it through properly now it is full systems go, they don't have to do rescue A any more, just B and pole rescue. Good as i always thought that A was a bit pointless if they did B anyway!

Will keep you posted bob, if i get chance tommorow afternoon i might do two then, if there ready and the other two on Saturday morning.

It seems to flow pretty well so shouldn't be too much different. There does seem abit more for the students to do though, what with the idents if they are completely new to the job.

How about making up a little booklet of leaves, sealed in a laminator?. Thats an interesting site Kev, I particularly like the 'obese dummy', imagine doing a pole rescue on that big lump...gives me backache at the thought of it!.:laugh1:

bariatric-dummy-group.jpg.c5b3c9db5e9fe92818d152f954d201c7.jpg

i did some training in cumbria with that verry fellow 6 of us almost died doing a at height rescue.

what a laugh

i tell you another thing if you have never rescued one of these dummies you should try it is very differant

cheers

kevin