tree work in -5 degrees.

rossj

I believe he is saying felling is fine, climbing however would be alot riskier than in the dry. Would your risk assessment not suggest finding something else to do if the tree will wait for better weather?

True, you only get one body so why risk it ;)

:001_smile:hi all due to this cold weather that we're having i just wondered what type of tree work can still be done apart from felling. is it ok to trim certain varieties of trees and what trees shouldn't you work on ? any advice welcome !

I can't help apart from recommending you get yourself a copy of The pruning of trees, shrubs and conifers by Brown / Kirkham, or similar, if you want to try and do the best by the tree. You'll find info @ Amazon.com. Not as comprehensive as I'd hoped, but far far better than guessing! Many species wouldn't appreciate being pruned at the moment I reckon.

And not to forget removing deadwood :thumbup:

our tracked chipper was frozen solid to the Ifor trailer just before xmas, we had to rope onto a tree and tie it to the chipper and drag it off!:ohmy:

Had a MEWP frozen to our flatbed too.After a bit of headscratching we decided to lift it off the trailer with all four legs,got some funny looks but it worked a treat.I guess some commercial felling would be a good thing for this weather rossj,thats what i'd be doing if we'd no firewood to do.:001_smile:

Freezing temperatures will kill off the exposed cambium at the pruning point but the tissue always dies back slightly due to dessication. I dont think it really effects the tissues ability to form callus and occlude.

I was reducing an Acer sacharrum today and when I finished the work at 1.00 many of the larger pruning cuts had foot long icicles hanging from them that had formed from the running sap. I had not seen this happen before.