Echo CS-390esx Abroad

computeruser

I'm interested in this little CS390esx Echo, but it can't be had in the US.  Apparently we aren't allowed to have 40cc saws with magnesium crankcases - Stihl cancelled the 241 for the US market a few years back and Echo won't sell the 390esx here, so all we have is the 543xp but not the 543xpg, which I'd prefer over its cold-handled brother.  But I digress.

Does anyone have any suggestions on online retailers that would ship the CS390esx to the US?  

Any help you could offer on this would be appreciated.

5 hours ago, computeruser said:

I'm interested in this little CS390esx Echo, but it can't be had in the US.  Apparently we aren't allowed to have 40cc saws with magnesium crankcases - Stihl cancelled the 241 for the US market a few years back and Echo won't sell the 390esx here, so all we have is the 543xp but not the 543xpg, which I'd prefer over its cold-handled brother.  But I digress.

Does anyone have any suggestions on online retailers that would ship the CS390esx to the US?  

Any help you could offer on this would be appreciated.

Hi . Can't help with your question , sorry , but curious to know the reason why you arn't  allowed a 40cc with mag cases ?

• Like 2

How com the  yankee makstar has a mag case them?

Could be  they think theere isn't the demand for the smaller professional saws coz everything is bigger in the USA, aad pros  only want big saws , small ones being seen as for home owners?

image.thumb.png.cf3a549e018e32518302cdba34567d04.png

WWW.MAKITATOOLS.COM

16" 42 cc Chain Saw

Edited by Stere
  • Like 3

Thanks for the lead!  I will reach out to him. 

To answer the earlier post, the US market does not seem to understand the 40cc pro saw.  The OEMs do not seem to know how to market them and most consumers are unwilling to pay near to what a 50cc costs for one.  Even when you can get someone to buy one, they invariably go and hang an 18-20” bar on it and then complain that it doesn’t pull it as well as the 50cc saw that only cost a few dollars more.  Most buyers seem to be looking at price and maximum bar length as their primary saw choice criteria. 

There remains a thriving market for used 242xp saws here among people who understand them.  But honestly, most people neither understand nor need this sort of saw.  I don’t cut as much as I used to, but I kept a 238se and a couple ported 346xpg, all wearing 13” bars.  The handling difference between those two chassis is noticeable and I will chose one or the other for a particular task on that basis; I would gladly pay the same for either saw, because they are different tools that excel in their respective niche, but most folks would expect the lower displacement model to be much cheaper, and their buying habits reflect this.  

9 hours ago, Stere said:

How com the  yankee makstar has a mag case them?

Could be  they think theere isn't the demand for the smaller professional saws coz everything is bigger in the USA, aad pros  only want big saws , small ones being seen as for home owners?

image.thumb.png.cf3a549e018e32518302cdba34567d04.png

WWW.MAKITATOOLS.COM

16" 42 cc Chain Saw

I'm a big fan of the Makita 4300/Dolmar 421 myself. They wake up once ported, too.

Those little Dolmars are nice saws for sure.  I have owned them in the past, but they didn’t have the feel I wanted, so I sold them.  

Probably the neatest little saw I have owned and one I regret tremendously having sold was a Shindaiwa 360-377 hybrid.  I forget which parts went where to make that hybrid, but it was a neat saw that was super light and nimble!

1 hour ago, computeruser said:

Thanks for the lead!  I will reach out to him. 

To answer the earlier post, the US market does not seem to understand the 40cc pro saw.  The OEMs do not seem to know how to market them and most consumers are unwilling to pay near to what a 50cc costs for one.  Even when you can get someone to buy one, they invariably go and hang an 18-20” bar on it and then complain that it doesn’t pull it as well as the 50cc saw that only cost a few dollars more.  Most buyers seem to be looking at price and maximum bar length as their primary saw choice criteria. 

There remains a thriving market for used 242xp saws here among people who understand them.  But honestly, most people neither understand nor need this sort of saw.  I don’t cut as much as I used to, but I kept a 238se and a couple ported 346xpg, all wearing 13” bars.  The handling difference between those two chassis is noticeable and I will chose one or the other for a particular task on that basis; I would gladly pay the same for either saw, because they are different tools that excel in their respective niche, but most folks would expect the lower displacement model to be much cheaper, and their buying habits reflect this.  

Understood all that but you said " arn't allowed " as in its illegal .....

18 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Understood all that but you said " arn't allowed " as in its illegal .....

Gotcha.  A figure of speech, that’s all.  Thankfully we aren’t as hung up on making saws illegal here as I understand y’all are - I can go buy all the top-handle saws I want, anytime I want, without having to ask the master’s permission first! ;)