Need help with tree choices!

needtreehelp

Hi there,

I need some help with ideas on what we can plant alongside a river.

Essentially we live next to a river in the South of England and I am looking for something that we can plant alongside it which doesn't restrict our view, but gives us some privacy from our elevated neighbours. We are at river level and they are about 20 foot above it.

So what I would really love is to plant some trees along the river that grow relatively tall, are nice and dense at the top, but that doesn't restrict the view at the bottom. It would have to be something that deals well with wet soil (and clay) in the winter, although in the summer the river goes down to about 6 inches deep and about 2 metres wide. In the winter it is just a lot deeper  - maybe 4 foot and quite fast flowing. We are very near the source of the river though so it isn't too bad.

It would be amazing if they were evergreen to give us privacy all year round - but I think that makes it nigh on impossible!

I was thinking fruit trees just because I have always been a fan - but I don't think they are dense enough really - and possibly not tall enough. I am really looking for the traditional 'mushroom shaped' tree! Nice big stump at the bottom and a good looking tree at the top!

Has anyone got any ideas. Really don't want to go down the route of hedging it or getting Leylandaii or anything like that as we will loose the river, but could really do with some privacy! Any help MUCH appreciated!

Thanks.  

Swamp Cypress (Taxodium distichium) will deal with these conditions, just lift the lower branches as they grow to gain your view of the river.

They will create a solid screen until Autumn when it will turn a stunning yellow/orange/red before dropping their leaves (needle). Or as Steve says, Alder, there are a few hybrids with interesting colour on the new growth.

9 minutes ago, The avantgardener said:

Swamp Cypress (Taxodium distichium) will deal with these conditions, just lift the lower branches as they grow to gain your view of the river.

They will create a solid screen until Autumn when it will turn a stunning yellow/orange/red before dropping their leaves (needle). Or as Steve says, Alder, there are a few hybrids with interesting colour on the new growth.

Thanks for that - brilliant. Loads of good advice and some options there! I was hoping to get planting relatively soon so that's great. You don't happen to know if there is an option which doesn't drop its leaves over the winter do you? I think that might be asking too much!

2 minutes ago, needtreehelp said:

Also following on from this - is it feasible to move an established tree. Or purchase a tree that is of a decent height, and re-plant it? Or am I better buying smaller and planting?

Yes if you have access for the right sort of machinery. Google tree spade. You can move fully mature trees with the right gear. After care will be more important than ever though