stopping your saw hitting the ground?

Stihlwatersrundeep

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a silly question, probably a question many ask themselves everytime they kick up the dirt with the saw. Windblown trees are one of the more dangerous trees to work on, compression, tension all play their part to a larger degree than on normal felling operations, exercise a great deal of care on them. Have you done much work on windblowns in the past?

1 windblown tree and a lot of firewood collected from building sites i have worked on. (stihl ms260 18in bar.)

farmer wants to clear 8-9 windblown trees from his wood and said he will go 50/50 on the wood if i cut them up for him. been up there this afternoon and a few of the trees are leaners so am a bit confused where to start? (maybe i should leave well alone till i get my 30 and 31 ticket?) I do where chainsaw boots, hardhat, mufs and chainsaw gloves.

when cutting keep the saw level or the end pointing slighty upwards, dont point the end of the bar towards the ground. the bottom of the handle will hit the ground first. like big a said, think about the saw getting trapped.

I would do your tickets first. Even then, dealing with windblown and hung up trees is one of the most dangerous tasks you can undertake in treework - seriously, hangups can kill you very easily.... If Farmer Giles wants to go 50/50, tell him you will want him there with a tractor and loader to pull out the leaners and lift the fallen trees off the ground.

I would do your tickets first. Even then, dealing with windblown and hung up trees is one of the most dangerous tasks you can undertake in treework - seriously, hangups can kill you very easily.... If Farmer Giles wants to go 50/50, tell him you will want him there with a tractor and loader to pull out the leaners and lift the fallen trees off the ground.

i didnt read that post, if the are hung up,be very carefull. if they are biggish do what mr ed says and be very carefull.

I dont think it would be right to give you any advice on here regarding that kind of work, having no knowledge of your level of skill in operating a saw. Dont want to scare you off, but any one of those 8 or 9 trees have the potential to be death traps, not for the inexperienced!! Seems like the farmer is looking for the work to be done on the cheap, but as the hirer he is also responsible for your safety on his land.

I would think it may be wise to turn this work down if you doubt your ability to carry out the work in a safe and controlled manner.

many thanks for the advice.

"**** found under a tree with chainsaw on his head in woods on his own " is not the headline i want in my local paper next week!

will take the advice of the tractor and chain from the farmer to hold up the fallen trees and leave the leaners well alone till i get my ticket or as you suggest the farmer pulls them down to ground level.