Starting out

Trowelandhawk

Hi.

Im gonna throw this out there now. I expect like any forum, some good advice and some ridicule. 

Im 9 years away from retiring at 55 years old and thinking about making steps to enter this industry on a part time basis with a view to being self employed when I retire.  I will have no need to be full time when I’m retired, just a few domestic jobs and all the small jobs most full timers don’t want, but I love being outside as I have been all my working life. I appreciate this is a hard game and will probably be ridiculed for wanting to enter it now at 46 years old. My intention is to get the necessary qualifications by either paying for them myself or giving my time for the experience and a company put me on the requisite courses needed if this is doable. My outlook in life is that anything is possible and so is this.

my questions are these:-

Are my expectations in regards to trading my time for courses/experience with a company unreal or a viable option, or would it be better to pay for the courses and then knock a few company’s doors. I am willing to volunteer my time for a few months for the experience which you cannot get in a classroom environment and more than willing to turn up, shut up, get stuck in to learn and also make the tea. That’s how you learn as far as I’m concerned.

some advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

I'm 43, and I'm really starting to feel it.
However I've worked with two guys who trained and started in their 50's.
And they're pretty good too. They bring a lot of skill sets to the table.
emoji106.png

So your only a youngster then Rough:thumbup:

• Like 1

If you're planning on entering this industry part-time find a GOOD company to work for, There are plenty of firms but many use inexperienced, unskilled for the numpty work - dragging logs and brash, with little chance of progression. So if time is limited try to find a firm that'll teach you things as well - don't accept a lot of empty promises. By the time you go it alone you want to feel confident in your abilities to do basic tree work, which will take at least 3yrs p/t. To be honest I'd pay to do the basic chainsaw tickets beforehand, up to small fell so your as much of an asset to begin with and then just show commitment. If it's a decent firm they'll hopefully see your potential and give you more scope to gain skilled experience. You will find it harder at your age, but at least your body isn't wrecked yet.

Regarding the type of work you're looking to do when you go it alone, make sure you know how much work is out there in your area. Don't think there aren't companies looking for the small jobs. If it's not tree surgeons, it's landscapers, gardeners, and grounds maintenance companies all after Mrs Miggins apple tree. And DON'T volunteer - that's a hiding to nowhere

Some good advice already.

1 thing I will say is climbing is bloody hard (esp when u don't do a lot)

Also some big changes in best practice/HSE seem to be coming climbings way, I wouldn't want to go back climbing esp if these new regs come in.

By rights u also need 2 folk ( is rescue climber) which means u then need to find someone to work with, plus employers liability as well as more expensive PL insurance

By all means do ur basic saw tickets and get some exp etc, but climbing is hard and expensive and it gets more complicated keeping the right side off HSE.

Depending where u are could be other work more forestry minded, coppicing, hedge laying, small scale forestry woodland work or gardening type work u can do on ur own when it suits

By rights u should still have 2 folk for all saw work 

I take it ur a builder or plaster with the name? Sure plenty of wee building landscaping jobs u could do and save a fortune on saw tickets?

Meant to add if u say where u are it might help folk tell u wot work is in that area, or someone might offer u work.

For me common sense is far more important than tickets as that can't be trained and generally older folk have that.

Not meaning to diss climbing in above post but everyone wants to climb so loads of folk at it, money is not as good as it really should be and it's bloody hard and complicated work esp on a PT basis for yourself and lots to go wrong ( even just pricing jobs,  a few tiny unseen complicatons can really slow a job down

Easier ways to get work.

In many cases a good ground/forestry cutter will be making similar money with less complication and cheaper kit, still bloody hard work thou