Building a Ramp

ukminch

Just been asked to do a job for someone I do some work for. Removal of a conifer tree (straight fell through a gateway - If I've got the balls......

And a ramp up to a porta cabin building. Just wondering if any of you guys had done this before. It's something that I've done similar of before but not in quite the same way.

The ground that it is going on is concrete, and about a foot deep so I can build off that. Was planning to build an appropriate wall out of blocks to shape. Would I need to fill the whole thing with concrete or could I get away with crush upto about 6 inches below then concrete it. Makes a big difference to the price!!

Might be that they can get a grant for it from the local council as it's for wheelchair access.

R

To 76AR:

Thanks, I thought that would be the case, shame we didn't do it when we did all the other concrete work, would have been easier.........

To dandkgroundcare:

Good tip, got stung by that once before, had to have it all re-welded - PITA. It should have it all in the job spec, if it doesnt I'll ask them for it, or provide them with a spec for the work and get a reply off them confirming that's what they want, covers my arse.....

R

It has indeed, they're in the folder somewhere. I'll double check that there spec's correct though when it comes through.........

Rob

P.s

Didn't get back to you about chipper as he'd sold the business with chipper etc as a going concern. Have you got grinder up and running?

If it's for wheelchair access the specified maximum gradient is "not steeper than 1 in 20, if individual flights are no longer than 10.0m, or no steeper than 1 in 16, if individual flights are no longer than 6.0m, or no steeper than 1 in 12, if individual flights are no longer than 3.0m” (Building Regulations Part M). A good way of doing it is to create the sides of the ramp in solid blocks (bear in mind the pressure exerted laterally when you're whacking down all that fill) and lay an occasional block at 90 degrees from the face to the inside to act as a baffle to locate the fill and prevent shearing. Generally a good idea to place steel mesh of appropriate size and gauge (depends on how big the thing is) under the surface too. Also, think about whether the surface has to be non-slip- a bonded resin top or non-slip applied finish might be appropriate. If the ramp exposes a drop to either side, then you'll need an 1100mm hand rail with gaps not exceeding 100mm between the rails. Sounds like a lot of messing about, but it's generally best to do things right in these litigious times. Best of luck. Maybe post a picture of the finished article?

if you dont want to have to compact hardcore between the 2 side walls you could always put in semi dry concrete then the following morning pour the concrete onto this.as said before you may need to stop the side walls spreadin with with the weight of the concrete,if you are putting the semi dry concrete in you could use wall ties out of bed joints in the brickwork.

you could always use large paving slabs as an edging too

i think you have to have an upstand to stopp a wheel chair going of the edge