Stihl 024 bar movement

owain038

I’m with wedgebanger on the studs being fit wrong way round.
I have a 024AV wood boss but its at work and not back in till thursday, if your still stuck i can take in bits and picture for you what i have [emoji106]
Your bar should be fine as all checks out on oregon page as being the right one for your saw. The plastic cover is off a homeowner saw (typically orange handled, i.e 021,023,025,029,039 etc) your 024 is classed as a pro saw (white handle) and should have the magnesium case fitted. Let me know if you need pics [emoji106]

The only other thing I can think of. 

Is to start with out the chain or the chain adjuster.

remove the plastic bumpers I marked in red, also from remove from the case

They only hold in by the plastic, I’m wondering if these are making the bar sit proud. Thus you can still move it

now fit the bar and see if you can get it to tighten up, try both covers.

then add one bit at a time and check.

I’ve had those plastic bumpers can get dirt behind them and sit proud and foul the chain

ive added some pics of my 260. What I’ve notice is the cover sits upto the bit I’ve maked in red (long red line)  

you can see my bar fitment in the pic, from your pic of bar fitment, are those white plastic bumpers fouling the bar, it’s just a thought, 

you have to ask every thing, so as to not miss the simple things

EB2B9333-A18D-42DB-8828-268D7CDB8D18.jpeg

4192D24D-8C88-4B5B-BCA7-93EEBCBFD94F.jpeg

60724692-F2E6-423D-AB6D-B8176A1E7D87.jpeg

8EC70B73-5E55-44C4-B37E-4916FEE99220.jpeg

I’m with wedgebanger on the studs being fit wrong way round.

I have a 024AV wood boss but its at work and not back in till thursday, if your still stuck i can take in bits and picture for you what i have [emoji106]

Your bar should be fine as all checks out on oregon page as being the right one for your saw. The plastic cover is off a homeowner saw (typically orange handled, i.e 021,023,025,029,039 etc) your 024 is classed as a pro saw (white handle) and should have the magnesium case fitted. Let me know if you need pics [emoji106]

Do you think my bar studs are incorrect? I installed the same way as the old ones came out. With the shank above the collar.

I was thinking it was odd that the cover was plastic as it's a pro saw. Hence why I bought the metal cover.

Yeah some pictures would be great if it's not sorted! Appreciate that.

Will try remove those wear bumpers shortly and report back

Thanks

Here's another thing to try,  a bit mad but might learn something.

Try putting the clutch cover on with it rotated through 180 degrees, so the STIHL badge is upside down. We're checking the cover goes all the way down without the perimeter getting in the way. If not what's stopping it ?

• Like 1

Do you think my bar studs are incorrect? I installed the same way as the old ones came out. With the shank above the collar.
I was thinking it was odd that the cover was plastic as it's a pro saw. Hence why I bought the metal cover.
Yeah some pictures would be great if it's not sorted! Appreciate that.

Will try remove those wear bumpers shortly and report back
Thanks

Look at wedgey’s pics of his 260 (effectively same saw) the shanks are prob 5-6 mm and yours are only showing 2-3mm from what i can see in your pics? Not saying thats your issue but was just a observation. Its a while since i had mine in bits, remember the side plate and small screw holding it on and seem to remember a small cover like in the picture below, associated with the adjuster, but dont think it would affect your clamping issue [emoji848] others may be able to advise. Like i say, be easier when i’m staring at it thursday ?[emoji39]
IMG_3305.jpg

Just looked at it again : removed wear pads from saw and side covers, removed chain tensioner and plastic chain brake cover. So just installing the bar and both side covers, issue is still there. Decided to file the plastic side cover slightly to ensure it wasn't contacting the rest of the saw before clamping the bar. Still the same issue.
Possible that the 0.5mm skinnier bar is the issue? [emoji848]
An overview: bar studs changed, correct side cover, any inner plastic removed, tensioner removed.
Only thing left really is the bar...