Stihl 024 bar movement

owain038

Right I'm looking at the saw now. Few things measurements all seem very close to what bmp01 posted. My bar is 4mm thick though versus the 4.5mm.

I've got two side covers, one plastic one that came with the saw, with a strange hole drilled in-between the bar mounts.

I then thought this was an issue so bought a used side cover off an 024 being broken for parts on eBay. This is a metal cover, however as bmp01's keen eye spotted it contacts the chain adjuster slightly.

However the original plastic cover that came with the saw does not have this issue, however the original problem is still present.

There also seems to be more play with the original plastic cover

Studs are installed with the short thread into the case. They couldn't be installed upside down. Also had the same issue before changing the studs.

Collar on the studs does not protrude beyond the bar, they are slightly recessed

77e300e790419f37b5967e685b30b399.jpg65a2ef07dcdcc26fffa32b42696db199.jpg

Well the second hand cover does not have a hole to adjust the chain,, 1119 series number for still is for a 038 maybe it has a front chain adjuster 

edit: how would you adjust the chain.. we’ve all done things like this, so don’t worry about it, we’re here to learn ?

the other cover should fit as it is 1125 series. Albeit a plastic one ?. I think thinner bar no backing  etc is a problem

as for the bar studs I always thought it was the long thread into the case.. not that it should make any difference 

Edited by Wedgebanger
Edit

Well the second hand cover does not have a hole to adjust the chain,, 1119 series number for still is for a 038 maybe it has a front chain adjuster 

the other cover should fit as it is 1125 series. Albeit a plastic one [emoji848]. I think thinner bar no backing  etc is a problem

as for the bar studs I always thought it was the long thread into the case.. not that it should make any difference 

Mine has the chain adjuster behind the bar forgot to mention that.
Also yeah maybe I got mixed up but they are definitely installed correctly.

well I guess I missed the chain adjuster being at the front. Doh.. it’s amazing what you miss.. after all it a 024av. Not a 024 as I know.. so there are a few differences. 

My simple suggestion of removing the chain adjuster, to only test that it is the adjuster fouling the cover. While there check the plastic cover for fitment.  It would be easy to remove some plastic from the plastic cover if it fitted well without the chain adjuster. ( I would not file down the chain adjuster, as I think you may find it hard to get another)

after reading some threads on 024 av there are a few variations and the original cover only had one bar nut but peeps changed them out to a two stud cover. 

But unfortunately some things go undocumented.  

Then in I guess the choice is yours 

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/stihl-024-av-super-1149-version-ipl.316832/

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/stihl-024-av-eq-chain-tensioner.260484/

The clutch cover might be the problem and you might have to get a known good one, one you know really belongs to a 024...

But back up a bit, put the bar on the saw with out clutch cover (or chain). Can you confirm the collar on the bar stud  below the surface of the bar ?

If that's ok then take the chain adjuster out,  it's not hard, then put the metal cover on. Can you see the thread on the bar stud continuing into the hole? (.....so the nut isn't bottoming on the stud before it clamps the clutch cover).

If that's ok pop the nuts on and do them up. Still the same or fixed? 

bmp01 

well I guess I missed the chain adjuster being at the front. Doh.. it’s amazing what you miss.. after all it a 024av. Not a 024 as I know.. so there are a few differences. 

My simple suggestion of removing the chain adjuster, to only test that it is the adjuster fouling the cover. While there check the plastic cover for fitment.  It would be easy to remove some plastic from the plastic cover if it fitted well without the chain adjuster. ( I would not file down the chain adjuster, as I think you may find it hard to get another)

after reading some threads on 024 av there are a few variations and the original cover only had one bar nut but peeps changed them out to a two stud cover. 

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/stihl-024-av-super-1149-version-ipl.316832/

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/stihl-024-av-eq-chain-tensioner.260484/

My apologies I should have specified it was an 024av.

The clutch cover might be the problem and you might have to get a known good one, one you know really belongs to a 024...
But back up a bit, put the bar on the saw with out clutch cover (or chain). Can you confirm the collar on the bar stud  below the surface of the bar ?

If that's ok then take the chain adjuster out,  it's not hard, then put the metal cover on. Can you see the thread on the bar stud continuing into the hole? (.....so the nut isn't bottoming on the stud before it clamps the clutch cover).

If that's ok pop the nuts on and do them up. Still the same or fixed? 

bmp01 

Bar stud collar is below the bar surface.
Can confirm there is enough thread for the nuts before bottoming out.
Pulled out the chain adjuster but still having the same issue..
Maybe you're right on a side cover, although the one I ordered came on an 024 , advertised as "genuine Stihl 024av side cover"25514e4dc8810c8f37436ada719b3e8f.jpg

7 minutes ago, Wedgebanger said:

Those are useful links. I bet what's happened is that a mish-mash of parts have been fitted, specifically the wrong adjuster widget....

Oik adjuster out.  Assemble saw. See if that solves it. Then figure out what to do with adjuster. 

Only 2 things left. ... (that I can think of)

1) the mounting face on the saw has been machined back,  or filed or what ever. ...to get rid of a badly worn face. (Pretty unlikely I guess).

2) the perimeter of the side cover contacts the saw early,  stopping the clamping face from doing is job. (Wrong side cover,  get creative with a file or an angle grinder ?)

Edited by bmp01

Only 2 things left. ... (that I can think of)
1) the mounting face on the saw has been machined back,  or filed or what ever. ...to get rid of a badly worn face. (Pretty unlikely I guess).
2) the perimeter of the side cover contacts the saw early,  stopping the clamping face from doing is job. (Wrong side cover,  get creative with a file or an angle grinder [emoji44])

3) throw it in the skip and never deal with it again[emoji23]

It's unlikely that inner plate will make a difference as from those links posted above it seems to be option and replace the plastic wear tabs I have...
I may mess with one of the side covers as both are giving the same issue...
Cheers fellas
  • Haha 1