Husq 435 II or Stihl MS 181 c-be?

Mattia223

29 minutes ago, Mattia223 said:

Thanks again for all the messages, folks. 

I picked a Makita up today from a shop around the corner from mine and will give it a good try in the weeks to come.

One question I do have, and this is probably a trivial question: when I first fired up the saw I followed the instructions. That's priming until there's fuel in the bubble, choke a few times, then open and turn on. Worked the saw a few minutes and put it away.

The primer bubble is half full with fuel. Will this get sucked out after some use?

It's not so much a primer as a purge pump, it takes fuel from the tank  to the carb and then returns it to the tank, purging any air out of the system as it does. So if you leave it for a long time the fuel can disappear.

Also the choke has two effects, it cuts  most of the air off but it also  creates a vacuum which sucks fuel from the carb to the intake. So you normally pull it over a few times till it fires and then open the choke to the run position.

If it doesn't fire after a half dozen pulls or so you risk flooding the saw. I have a saw made before primer bulbs were common and that always needs 11 pulls before it fires if it has been left for a couple of weeks or more.

The primer has a one way valve setup so it pulls fuel from the tank through the carb and is on the return line to the tank so some fuel will be passing through it all the time in use. As above it's just to make starting quicker and easier. I only need to use it on mine to start and not for restarts once the saw has been running. I have a few older saws without primer bulbs but none of them take more than 4 or 5 pulls to cough on choke even when weather is cold.