something for the sharper arbor!

Tony Croft aka hamadryad

"This rationalistic thinking is founded in the supposition - deeply embedded in

orthodox mathematics, science, governance and theology - that matter can be isolated from space. There is neither any evidence for this supposition, nor does it make consistent sense of our experience."

Nice idea. Tried banging your head against a wall recently?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"There is nothing more difficult to carry out, nor more doubtful of success,

nor more dangerous to handle, than to initiate a new order of things. For

the reformer has enemies in all who profit by the old order, and only

lukewarm defenders in all who profit by the new order. This lukewarmness

arises partly from fear of their adversaries, who have law in their favor,

and partly from the incredulity of mankind, who do not believe in anything

new until they have had an actual experience of it."

Machiaveli!

The great un-divide Science + religion = Holism!

An apology

I guess I should begin by apologising both to God and to Darwin for this article, and by thanking Alan Rayner, and many other great men, the philosophers, scientists, devout followers of religious beliefs, and even those of limited view and scope, you all have influenced me in profound ways. I thank you all for enabling me to see and express that which has influenced my path from early childhood. I have always been an emotional child; I have struggled for most of my life to comprehend my trials in life and my existence within the great scheme of human endeavour even the point and purpose of everything. I have always been as questioning a child as I have an emotional one, and even now as I write this the satisfaction of enlightenment is bringing me to a highly emotional state. I have experienced great sadness and turbulence in my life, but throughout there have been moments of great joy and discovery. I put this down to a gift that was given to me for whatever reason, and that gift is an open mind, this open minded view of my world has enabled me to see all things in a way that allows for acceptance of all things, both negative and positive, ying and yang, the light and the dark, the underworld and the over world, the ebb and flow of life, the force of it, the nature of it, even the possibility of other dimensions.

I have always had a fascination with nature, its discovery and observation fills me with a joy I can not measure, and this was a part of my journey I could not quite grasp, what was this sense that brought me to tears of joy on finding something amazing. What drove me to tears when I found in a wild wood a fungus, or a tree whose presence forced me to sit humble beneath its bows? What was this connection I felt with all of nature, its diversity and form its complexity and inter connective flow? I questioned the priests, and did not find my answer, I questioned the scientists and still I did not find my answer, why did I feel there was an answer to this anyway?

Inconvenient truth (to some)

I needed an answer because I had all my life been educated to believe in the self, I was viewing all things and appreciating them as an individual. My eyes wide open I now truly understand this connection, I am part of this force, I am participating in its display I am interconnected to this web of life as closely as the mycelia strands are to the roots of the tree. I know now why I love nature with every bone and fibre, why I am both a man of science and of religion, I am a man of Holism, and the diversity and inclusional nature of holism makes this a beautiful and joyful place. Gaia is me and I am Gaia together we are Eden, we are all one and the same. I am a child of the Earth, the tree the fungi the bacteria even the mineral earths are my brothers, my kin. This is enlightenment, this is spirituality, death is nothing but an ebb of my flow from within and from without. I am nothing but a force flow part of the great force of nature that displays itself in infinite ways and possibilities and we are immortal and unlimited.

It is human nature to seek answers to life the universe and everything, and in this lays our greatest obstacle to true peace, freedom and enlightenment. We imprison our minds and our souls within boundaries and sections, compartments, unions and teams. We try to satisfy these infinite questions by choosing a convenient truth, at least the one most agreeable with our own views. Be you a man of science or a man of creationism you have chosen your path and a convenient truth. Somewhere in between lay those that still question the two paths or just do not wish to take sides or create problems! Life is a complex affair indeed, but it need not be so. I do not believe for one moment that any of these positions is a complete truth, for if it was the world would be full of happy fulfilled people, and sadly it is not the case. Discovering the inconvenient truth is true enlightenment and key in resolving the two fundamentals of being human, the sense of place and of spirituality. The paradox of man is that in the drive to fulfil his inner world he creates conflicts in the outer world. The evolution of the human consciousness is dependant on his ability to forget the closed “exclusional” approach, the singularity and embrace the openness of the “inclusional” approach. When we close our hearts and our minds we “exclude” and life becomes limited and narrow and stagnant, but when we open our hearts and our minds it becomes diverse and vibrant, it flows freely. Diversity is the result of an inclusional and open approach; it can not result from an exclusional or closed approach.

Our problems all stem from the very thing that drives us into these opposing views, our underlying need to fulfil our sense of connection, our sense of purpose and to resolve our individual but joint conflicts to fulfil that need for inner peace. Our individual cultures, educations and environments lead us down a path that makes us feel socially unique and special and sets us up for the view that anything other than our way is in conflict with order, and chaos ensues.

It is not hard to imagine what it must have been like as man evolved into the intelligent being he is today, from the first time man was able to comprehend anything other than the drive to find food or shelter to simply reproduce. The birth of expression, of art and the mastering of ones environment and the birth of farming making life easier and freeing more time for thoughts and comprehension of deeper more profound issues, and then the birth of literature. It is little wonder we got lost from the true path, and forgot our connection with nature, and became obsessed with the closed approach, we learnt to singularise things and put them into tidy little boxes, to acknowledge the individual, but it just doesn’t work. Even in science, the more we learn the more complex it becomes, the more boundaries are blurred and distinctions fail to comply to the order of mans comprehension. Life is diverse and none conforming, it refuses to comply and fit in as singularities.

We have been fed an option by our societies throughout the age of man, conform or be rejected, excluded, extradited or ostracised. It is part of our instinctual drives to group together as it increases our odds of surviving the trials of life, alone we are vulnerable, the success of the individual is nothing the group is everything and so we conform and try to fit in. The conflicts within all of us are driven by simple instincts, and just as simple is the solution to their resolve. Life is basic, but to live in a simple way again we have to understand the simplicity in its complexity, and neither science nor creationism holds the path to this truth.

If you are open you can see other paths, both science and creationism are closed views, with neither of these views embracing the others, but if you accept all the paths and views of man and remain open, you are Holistic.

Is Holism just another tidy little box?

Of course it is not, for there in itself is the answer, holism is always inclusional it is diverse and open to all, it is multi dimensional and infinitely diversifiable, it ebbs and flows in all directions it is a state of mind, and in mind all things are possible and achievable, all things imaginable. The mind is the fifth dimension, where all other dimensions intertwine and become exchangeable and un-limiting.

Imagine a world where we live unlimited, free from constraints from either science or religion if you accept nothing and everything the possibilities are endless. A question made possible by holism.

What can we achieve if scientific fact is not absolute and becomes open?

Sorry to Einstein, Newton and a good few others too, do not laugh, this is no joke!

It is time to live unlimited and open our minds.

Too much God s***....I just cant relate. Religious ideology is oppression and cruelty...

The nature of the wares you peddle sir are lost to me.

I wouldnrt mind seeing the paintings for real tho'...The influence of the mans childhood are apparently never far from the surface. Sometimes painfully contrived and clumsy in their construction...nonetheless colourful and naive.

Too much God s***....I just cant relate. Religious ideology is oppression and cruelty...

The nature of the wares you peddle sir are lost to me.

I wouldnrt mind seeing the paintings for real tho'...The influence of the mans childhood are apparently never far from the surface. Sometimes painfully contrived and clumsy in their construction...nonetheless colourful and naive.

It is unfortunate that i have failed to get the message across, this is not about god, but about having a spiritual connection and love for the natural world. it is about a new way of thinking that steers away from the sort of attitude that resulted in mass histeria over Merripilus, dryadues etc and thousands of example of mans desire to "eradicate" organisms that he sees as a threat or a pest. By living in an "inclusional way" we accept all life forms "flows" energies, and diversity is encouraged and promotes a healthy diverse whole.