Arb Assoc. critcises BBC over tree planting programe.

Andy Clark

Nick Eden has worked very hard in just getting the BBC to talk to us over the rogue trader programme. All his effort may still come to nothing if the BBC decides that something else is more important or headline grabbing.

But publicly criticising the organisation, rightly or wrongly - and I'm sitting on my mile wide fence on that one - isn't going to exactly endear him to them is it.

Of course he shouldn't prostitute himself just to get airtime but we live in the real world; you don't bite the hand that you want to feed.

I wish Mr Eden the best in promoting good tree care but unless I've missed a big point (wouldn't be the first time) his efforts in respect of Auntie have surely just taken several steps backwards.

I think the BBC has a broad enough back to cope with a little criticism and I really can't see that the AA's comments will automatically prejudice any future relationship. Sometimes it takes criticism such as this to make the BBC aware that organisations like the AA exist and have something to say that might be of interest.

I am not suggesting that criticising the BBC should just be done for the sake of it but if it means that it we (the industry, not necessarily the AA) can raise our profile by making our opinions known then it can't be a bad thing.

In the case of the BBC’s tree planting video it was sloppy and just not good enough.. You only have to go to You Tube and do a search on ‘tree planting’ to see people / organisations without the resources of the BBC who have done a much better job.

The skills involved in tree planting are often so overlooked in our industry as much of our focus is on the maintenance of established trees. We should encourage anybody who has the desire to plant a tree to do it properly and ensure that they understand the need for appropriate aftercare.

This means that if organisations such as the BBC give out inadequate advice then we should say something, they may not always listen but if we shout loud enough then just maybe every now and again they will think about asking us for an opinion.

At the end of the day the tree care industry has a huge task in educating the public, hopefully any future Rogue Traders programme on tree care, with the assistance of the AA, will do something to help the public identify and employ decent, trained contractors rather than the cowboys.

The skills involved in tree planting are often so overlooked in our industry as much of our focus is on the maintenance of established trees. We should encourage anybody who has the desire to plant a tree to do it properly and ensure that they understand the need for appropriate aftercare.

I think that is about the most important part of tree planting.

The more effort you put into the planting side the more effort needs to be spent on the after care.

Sad to see so many nice trees strangled by ties, worn to death by rubbing stakes, growing into metal cages or just plain dead because no one bothered to water them.

I think the BBC has a broad enough back to cope with a little criticism and I really can't see that the AA's comments will automatically prejudice any future relationship.

OK - I hope you're right. Thanks for the long and thoughtful reply (unlike this one!)

Jon

NickB, I appreciate your point about journalists not being that interested unless its negative, but I think if the Arb Assoc wants to get good tree work on TV it needs to deliver its own interesting stories. Journalists and TV producers will usually show anything if all the work`s been done for them.

Hi Nailer

I agree that perhaps the AA could do more to raise the profile of good tree work in the media and I am sure that they would given the opportunity, but it is not that easy to attract the attention of the right people. Just what are the interesting stories?

I actually think that in many ways some of the subscribers to this forum have more opportunities to get media exposure, especially on a local level, than the AA.

I'm a newcomer here (although I lurked for a while before subscribing) but by looking through some of the postings its quite clear that there are a lot of contractors out there doing some damn good work, some of it in prominent or high profile places which might be of interest to the local press or TV.

Just yesterday Sanny posted some good stuff in the picture forum about a crane job. That sort of 'big' work is the perfect opportunity to let the local media know what is going on and (if they turn up) its an excellent chance to promote not only your own company but also professional tree care in general.

Ok its not always convenient in the middle of a job to stop and talk to some journalist, especially if you've got a crane on hire or a road closure, but that sort of exposure is worth so much more than a thousand quid's worth of advertising in Yellow Pages and could do a great deal to educate the public about the work that we do.

How the AA itself gets more media attention for the industry will always be a challenge, but it will never do it if the media doesn't know what it is, what it does and how to contact it.

This press release and the the criticism of the BBC has certainly attracted some interest, which I think is good. If nothing else it might just mean that a few trees are planted better.

In addition however, it may also mean that the AA gets more opportunities to promote good tree work. Possibly, the next time the BBC does something about tree care, whether it be Rogue Traders or something less negative, they might ask the AA to be involved. If this is the case then the criticisms the AA made of the BBC will have achieved something positive.

Are we talking about the tree o'clock event, if so:

i spent an enjoyable morning with my family, and lots of other families planting trees. Some trees were planted badly and not as the guidelines. these trees probably won't survive but that is not the point. The point is that these non tree people were out in the rain planting trees so that they can make a difference in a small way. Lots of small changes can make a difference. When the children grow up they will be able to say they planted this wood. What can be better than that.

If it's not about the tree o'clock than ignore the above rant

There has been some very interesting and incisive comments made since my original post. Those that have kept an eye on the thread will be aware that I have posted several comments on the Hort week page, so i'll save you all the repetitiveness of posting them here too.

For me, it is simple........ firstly, Nick Edens "You don't wanna do it like thaaaaaat, you wanna do it like this" (said in a rather Harry Enfield-esque voice) comments regarding the planting technique are factually wrong!

Secondly, although the Beeb may not have consulted the Arb Assoc for guidance on planting, it certainly did consult numerous other substantially larger and more prominent (especially in the realms of tree planting) organisations.

For example, NE goes on about the AA and it's 2,000 members....... well The Tree Council, the countries largest tree planting focussed charity organisation, quotes figures of some 8,000 volunteer Tree Wardens (yes, I am one). Add to that other organisations on the consultation list such as the Forestry Commission, Trees for Cities, and the The Woodland Trust, and I think it's fairly safe to say that the Beeb did their homework.

Thirdly, there is purely and simply a "Right" and "Wrong" way of doing things....... "Criticising", is the WRONG way of educating people. All criticising is going to do, is discourage the beeb from wanting to cover the subject again.

Finally, I think it is high time that the Arb Assoc realises that although yes it may well be the largest solely Arb focussed trade organisation in the Uk industry, it certainly doesn't represent or hold the majority voice of the industry itself.

I mean, just look at the "shock and awe" they have quoted in relation to the recent AAAC consultation...... some 300 comments at the half way stage, despite the fact they only hold 40-50 something (if memory serves me well) contractors on their scheme!

And by making such inaccurate and unfounded "criticisms" of organisations such as the Beeb, all the AA is doing is YET AGAIN making it harder for the rest of us, in the face of an already struggling marketplace. :thumbdown: