Advice on best tools for a future tree surgeon please guys

Rhys Conway

HI guys, I am going to be buying tools and equipment next week, and dont really know whats the right stuff to buy, im thinking of just going to stihl and asking them but would love to hear from the pro's (you guys) on whats the best with a good price-performance ratio I am going for the MS 260 chainsaw so thats covered, anything you guys think i should buy let me know, I need everything so a list would be excelent if you have the time, Im going on my first course in Jan so i want to start getting stuff now,

Thanks in advance

Rhys

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldnt bother getting everything just now mate... go on your course and see a few bits of kit in action and make your own decisions about pros and cons - you'll get side-lined here onto the stihl v husky debate and a million other cans of worms.

If you're booked onto a practical course, the pre-course hand out should include a list of basic kit you will nee dto have such as saw trousers, boots, file kit etc.

If you want a full list of kit required to be a tree surgeon then I would suggest you have alot of homework to do - the possibilities are endless.

Good luck!

Thanks for the quick reply Highland, I do know the equipment need for the first courses cs 30/31, but im really intrested in getting the right stuff, from being in the building trade for 7 years theres tools and then theres tools!, lol i totaly understand that what im asking is bound to cause a major debate, but it gives me an idea, and stops stihl convincing me that you must only buy the most exspensive to be safe.

For a start get a 046. upgraded earlier this year from the old 044. it's the absolute all rounder. You will probably not need any other ground saw. IMO. perhaps a few thoughts from the good people on here wouldn't go amiss. I also have the 026, by the way.

Good luck. and as the other feller says don't buy it all yet. There's alot of stuff you don't need.

Ok, see what you mean...

Well, if it helps, personally... my main ground saw is a Stihl MS260 with a 15' bar.

I also have an 038, a 180, a 200T, an 046, a husky 281xp and a stihl 880, but I still use my ms260 more than any other saw.

Spend good money on boots... you get what you pay for with boots in my opinion. I use meindl airstreams and have had absolutley no problems with them at all, and generally spend 10hrs a day in them most days of the week.

Trousers are another one, I use stretch air but there are loads of types, if you're starting out may be an idea to go for a cheaper pair of husquvarna or SIP etc... you can spend as little or as much as you like on all the above but deffinatley with boots and saws you get what you pay for.

I think you should have a wee chat with Mr. Jones (Jonesie)

B&Q do good stuff. The Spear & Jackson chainsaws are amazing as are the fuel cans and two stroke oil they do. The protective goggles are a snip at £9.99 aswell. Buy some strong footwear and a boilersuit as you might get dirty.

Haha kidding! Sorry. :001_tongue:

Oh and they do step ladders and rope too.