waney edge slabs for outdoor table

Badgerland

I've been asked by a customer to quote for an outdoor table with benches. The table would need to be about 10 foot long and 3 foot wide. The idea is to sit the top on 2 old cast iron trestles. He's after natural edge on both sides of the table and possibly both sides of the benches.

Partly down to cost, durability and stability, my initial thoughts were for either Larch or Cedar. I've quite a bit of Wellingtonia, but although it would be durable enough, I don't think it would stand up to the continued use without getting badly marked.

Which other UK timbers would be worth considering?

Is it pushing my luck to find slabs of this size anyway?

Would I be better off getting 2 boards and joining them?

What sort of price would I be looking at for timbers of this size?

Any suggestions/thought would be much appreciated.

5 hours ago, lux said:

I’ve made one in similar dimensions using a single slab of welli. Worked well and has stood up to lots of use. Lots of osmo should protect it sufficiently.

If it was for my own use I could live with welli as I quite like some of it's characteristics, but as it's for a paying customer my main concern with it is that the summer growth rings are so bloody soft that it's too easy to put dents and marks in it. Shame really cos I've a whole tree's worth!

If it was for my own use I could live with welli as I quite like some of it's characteristics, but as it's for a paying customer my main concern with it is that the summer growth rings are so bloody soft that it's too easy to put dents and marks in it. Shame really cos I've a whole tree's worth!

Sure. Obviously it’s not as hard as other timbers but it’s not too bad. They don’t mark that much. If it’s a rustic live edge table I wouldn’t worry about little marks. It’s just like a marked pine table. People like character. If the customer wants it more formal then a more durable timber is the go.
I’ve also got some 3 inch thick oak slabs in roughly that dimension if they are of interest. One has just been reserved for an outside table but she needs to choose which one.
I’m based in Haslemere.
All the best [emoji106]