Arboretum and Cemetery Preventive Maintenance

ACUF

Hi Everyone,

I am preparing to bid a long term project that would put me and my U900 (w/ lift and pto chipper) doing Preventive Maintenance on roadway trees, and other trees throughout a 400 acre cemetery and arboretum. It will require the use of the lift and require even more climbing, etc.. And maybe even some smaller to medium removals, but they usually contract with Davey Tree Care in doing larger removals.

So I wondered if someone could give me a rough idea of where to propose my services on an hourly basis, to still make me the most attractive price point, while still maintaining an edge toward growth, as a small company, amid the seeming endless work.

Not sure if they would do a term contract yet, as we have only spoke in little detail about their budget, etc. But I wanted to get some feedback, if possible.

Thank You,

ACUF

Edited by ACUF

Yeah, i didn't phrase that very clearly.

I have never handled a contract of this magnitude, So my question really has to do with how I would come up with some proposal numbers. It may even be too early to start asking members question, as I have limited information on they type contract they are offering, ie.year term, etc.

But I would shoot for around 20 - 30 hours a week to keep time for other private projects, etc. I do know I'm not required to chip either, but I may consider doing it, but it's not necessary. So, it will surely be the operation of the Unimog / lift, climbing, and running my saws. So, all in all, Just looking for some ideas on what that work should be bid at on this scale.

Thank you,

ACUF

i would go around it the same as any other job mate, work out your expenditure and what you want an hour then put it together for the final price/hourly price, allways better to try and give a set price for a contract i think, then you dont have people watching you all the time, for that odd phone call you have to take, or that quick drink at the truck, then you wont get some fart saying well you did have a 5min phone call!! :lol: good luck :thumbup:

Thank you,

I agree, I should bid the contract according to its overall price. I can go ahead and figure things out on a time (hourly) / materials basis, etc and then be bidding the entire project at the same time. This makes sense.

I guess another part of the question has to do with the volume vs the overall price. Is it customary to bid more work for a bit of a discount? I have never undertaken such volume. That was the other part I forgot to ask.

For example. If they called me out to look at a few trees in a given location, I would bid them at my normal rates.. If they are asking me to look at 100 trees at a time... my normal rates would be scoffed at b/c that would really add up to a tone of money pretty quickly.. So this adjustment in price for the added volume is a little confusing.

Thanks for looking and any information is appreciated!!

ACUF

eg, hourly rate pricing. made up prices.

minimum 4 hrs=$100 $25 per hour

8 hours = $160 $20 per hour

2 days = $300 $18.75 per hr

5 days $600 $15 per hr

The more work some one gives me the better deal i give them, if you work out what you actually earn in a week after you deduct all your extra running costs(fuel wear and tear) by the amount of hours you have to work, you will be better off working in the one place all week. If its close to home. Payment terms is a big factor to me, the quicker they pay the cheaper i work. simples:thumbup1:

I see. I was thinking more along the lines of a flat rate I could simply start out on, and as the project grows to more and more trees, I wouldn't have to adjust because I will have already f considered/factored it in..

The last smaller scale project, -that was all on the ground with no aerial work, no removals, etc, was $40/hr. So, while adding the aerial work into the equation, taking out the ground work and thinning, then I think a fair rate for me being on site, practicing the highest standards in care, leaving the brush lay for them to pick up later, could be somewhere around 60 - 70/hr. This way, if I come in lower than others, I can still afford to be on site for any more volume they would throw at me.

Or, would it be better to stay at the 40/hr rate, assuming they give more and more volume. Either way, nothing has been proposed in terms of dollars per hour at this point.

Just to recap the specifics of my service to them:

I would be on site, with U900/lift/winch/chipper, my saws, my climbing gear, doing preventive maintenance in a nationally recognized cemetery and arboretum (Spring Grove Cemetery - Arboretum), to include using the bucket lift, and performing even more climbing & rigging around old head stones, and even older trees, -including some state and national champions, etc.

Also, upon inspection of each tree, I will simultaneously be collecting base data for their own GIS of the arboretum. This includes collecting GPS points, attribute data of each individual, problems, hazards, etc. for future management.

The idea is to create a program to start rotating each section (there are hundreds of sections, with up to 100 +/- trees each), to make sure they have been seen, cared for, and marked in this inventory or database they want to start.

so, for all of that, it would seem somewhere between 40 - 70 / hr is fair.

I can leave the brush lay at the base of the tree for their in house chipper to come though and deal with.

The per hour would also be somewhere between 40 - 70 depending on the volume, which has the potential to be 400 acres if they like my services.

Any more thoughts?

Edited by ACUF