Fungus ident please

Dominic Phillips

Looks like older honey fungus armillaria to me too. At a push it could be pholiota squarrosa commonly known as shaggy pholiota but the aged caps don't give much away. I'm looking particularly at pic three where there appears to be a decaying cap on the ground with the 'shagginess' on it *tech term alert *tech term alert :lol:

As Nimby says, check for tell-tale boot laces.

Looking again, is that a Lombardy? also, is that stress growth at the base or is it in a privat hedge? What are the targets?

I have seen something similar on a Lombardy and the tree was completely goosed <-- technical term.

Is there any mechanical/physical damage to the tree or around the base ie, new road surface, compaction etc.

Anyway if it's a Pop I would just fell it and replace it appropriately. Inspect it properly (whack it with a hammer/steel boot) before climbing it though.:biggrin:

Its of a very big Black Poplar, the stem of it is about 1m across.

The picture doesn't really give the size of the fungus, the big one in the middle is probably close to 8ins in size (if not a little bigger).

This made me think that it might be a bit big for armillaria ??

i think that there may have been some growth at the base before.

There is a road fairly close to the tree, and a cannal the other side with another road.