bulkage factors

firewood

great.... so an artic load of softwood should give you about 92m3 of loose split firewood after allowing for stripped bark , sawdust and other waste. (based on Steve's 1:1.6 ratio)

no you would not get 90m3 loose loads out of a artic load, more like 45 to 50 m3 i would say. wishful thinking though:biggrin:

I've done a bit better than 'gensetsteve' but both of us are getting nowhere near the m3mentioned earlier. I get about 21m3 from a nominal 10 tonne load of roundwood. I've got a 26t load on the way & will ring up & split that separately from other stock to see what it makes. It's important to know so that you can gauge profitability.

Artic load of fresh cordwood (pine) 25/26T

= 45 cub mts

= 30 cub solid

= 55 cub mts processed loose, 25cm logs

Thats what we get. :thumbup1:[/quote

oops....your right. The previous post i think refers to final loose volume of split logs.

I've just finished processing a complete load of spruce (felled last year so semi seasoned)

I guestimate that the volume was 37m3 in lengths (do not know the weight) truck was loaded to the gunwhales.

this has produced 63m3 of split logs plus about 3-4m3 of sawdust, bark and chip type material

so a bulkage factor of about 1.7 to 1.

This quantity would fill abouty 90 builders or dumpy bags