Chain oil issues

TreeAbility

18 minutes ago, TreeAbility said:

I've been using Oregon chain oil for years but having loads of problems with all our saws not oiling properly. Both Husky and Stihl, Lots of different models.

What oil do people recommend and anyone else had similar issues?

Thanks

are oilers turnned down or are they flat out ? have you ever cleaned filter in oil tank,? or ever cleaned tank out as they do get a fair amount of crap in them,

Oilers turned right up and have changed and checked the pick up filters.  Even relatively new saws struggling, almost new MS661 stopped oiling today, 461 looks like oil pump needs replacing not working at all, changed a 261 oil pump a couple of weeks ago, another 261 also now not oiling.  Husky 395 hardly oiling too.  1 year old MS150 stopped oiling.  

The only common factor is Oregon chain oil ?.  Was wondering what other people use?  

2 minutes ago, TreeAbility said:

Oilers turned right up and have changed and checked the pick up filters.  Even relatively new saws struggling, almost new MS661 stopped oiling today, 461 looks like oil pump needs replacing not working at all, changed a 261 oil pump a couple of weeks ago, another 261 also now not oiling.  Husky 395 hardly oiling too.  1 year old MS150 stopped oiling.  

The only common factor is Oregon chain oil ?.  Was wondering what other people use?  

ok temp has droped oil thickens, oil during the summer was like water now its glupey empty one saw and mix yourself some chain oil and veg oil at about 65/35 mix the veg oil will thin your chain oil down should work but its got to be oil as its not one saw but a few, i take it there all on same oil ? we use the oil from northern arb its thinner than most but does the job and its cheap .

• Like 1

Do you think colder temperatures could be having an impact?
Are you using a relatively new tub / barrel of chain oil which could suggest an issue at oregon’s end or is it a same existing supply you’ve been using for a while?
I only use genuine stihl synth+ bar oil to which i’ve never had an issue. But i’m not using my saws daily either.

Do you think colder temperatures could be having an impact?
Are you using a relatively new tub / barrel of chain oil which could suggest an issue at oregon’s end or is it a same existing supply you’ve been using for a while?
I only use genuine stihl synth+ bar oil to which i’ve never had an issue. But i’m not using my saws daily either.

Lots of different 25 litre drums of the same stuff.
Problems not just since its been colder in hot weather too

Possibly a how its stored / shelf life issue then. Maybe worth contacting oregon over it.
What sort of age would you say it was? Is it a synthetic based bar oil or some of the eco biodegradable stuff?

I buy 2 drums at a time and we go through it in 3 or 4 months so don't think it's old. It's just bog standard chain oil. I can't believe all the oil pumps can keep breaking...
  • Like 1

Na you shouldnt be having issues with only months old stuff. Does make you wonder if theyve changed the properties in their oil. Buy a small tub of stihl oil or husky oil whatever as a trail. If stihl oil run it in a stihl saw, if husky oil run it in a husky saw, just to narrow it down and count it out in your own mind.

If working ok again using brand to brand, introduce in to another saw, narrow it down again.

No persons with a grudge?

I presume you have changed pickup filters like spuddog suggested, they can clog up pretty tightly some times, pence in the grand scheme of things to try.

i have had a lot of saws over the years and you have had more oiling issues in a week than i have had in 30 odd years to me its either your oil or its your maintanace program? do you clean the bar groove out and the oil hole in the bar as it dont take much to block that hole up, the oil pumps fitted on the 261 461 661 are of very very simple design and in my book simplicity is reliability it just sounds a strange issue that you should have so many going in a short space of time, i have all so used quite a few different oils over the years, some they call heavy chain oil and all been ok,but now settled on the northern arb oil, using 25ltrs every 3 wk in 241 260 261 460 461 & 660 only issue was about 2 yrs ago and put a new pump and worm drive in a old 2003 460,