NTPC out of date

gobbypunk

Hi guys , I was talking to a mate who wants some help doing some copicing work in Forestry Commission, woods and he was asking if my felling ticket was up to date , do I need some sort of refresher, I thought once I had my tickets that was it Looking forward to your reply’s 

Cheers Mark

If u haven't got all ur saw tickets i'd just do another 1. (Think they call it Up skilling)

Or if u know ur stuff just do the assement (some of the new tickets used to be part of the old tickets anyway so are nothing new really)

I was told fisa is now a 2 day course.

Also may be different down there doing esp coppicing work but locally u mast have windblow (so 32 aswell) to get on FC ground even just for brashing softwoods.

To be honest the fc tend to just be a pita fullstop to work for, if u don't do much on fc ground and have enough work elsewhere i'd probably not even bother doing the course. If its just a 1 off and a few days the courses/tickets will cost more than ur pay.

Edited by drinksloe
  • Like 1

The need to do refresher training or some description comes from PUWER Regulation 9, and the often quoted 5 years is in the HSE's guide "Chainsaws at work" INDG 317 (http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg317.pdf).

The more recent guides from the HSE have tended to shy away from setting out that it should be on a 3 or 5 year basis, and gone for saying that they would expect there to be planned refresher training, on a risk based approach. 

You might go for up skilling, but think about which ticket you're collecting as, whilst felling over 380mm would clearly cover a lot of the same areas as Felling upto 380mm, that won't be true across the board.

It won't be a surprise that I wouldn't suggest just doing the ticket without doing the training.  Apart from having a vested interest, I am always aware that Regulation 9 stipulates "adequate training" not "collect a certificate" so, in case of accident, that's what you will be measured against.