Woodland floor management

33 minutes ago, Paul in the woods said:

I've got a few more acres than 3 and the FC also didn't seem that interested.  What website did yours point you to? I created a management plan using the myForest - https://sylva.org.uk/myforest/home   and found it fairly straight forward. It helped understand the woodland and get a better idea of what to do with it.

Yes that was where I was sent to. Have tried to have a crack at the manager map generator thing but it doesn’t seem very user friendly. Can’t get it to draw sections/sub sections and label things up etc. Did you just plug on with it, or did you find anything with a bit more guidance/walkthrough of how to go about using the software? I’ve got mostly ash which is pretty affected with canker so am keen to establish something that considers that long term as well as chalara, hence wanting to get the FC involved. Shame that budgets mean smaller woodland owners miss out on their knowledge and experience

It's been a couple of years since I used the software but didn't have problems with the mapping. I did find a few problems I raised with their support and found them helpful.

I'm not sure the FC would be able to help much with the ash as it will depend on what you want from your woodland. It seems likely to me that Chalara will wipe out most ash so I would seriously look at diversifying it asap. I'm mainly concentrating on removing ash from my woodlands this winter.

On 15/11/2018 at 21:19, westphalian said:

I don’t know but wouldn’t that feck up the ground flora? What acreage would you need per pig for sustainable, what’s the word? Balance??

I suppose I was thinking of putting some pigs in and feeding them with pellets, whilst letting them grub up brambles and bracken. They do make a mess but will expose seeds whilst fertilising the ground. If you want a scrubby area clear, they're a great means to do it and then after 6 months you eat them!