Tractor Mower Engine Swap

Yournamehere

Hey ho. As it says on the label, I'm swapping over an engine on a tractor mower both B&S one 11hp tother 13 but it's just a bit different to what I've met before so I need a bit of mind setting to rest please.

Firstly does surface rust on the magneto rim matter? It's been stood outside and being iron has heavy surface rust. Should I clean this up with fine sand/emery-paper or does that make it worse? (grit in the works) Will it 'self-clean' with use? Is the magnetism not bothered by rust so don't worry?

Also, I'm intrigued. Am I missing a trick? How do you chock one of these engines in order to remove (say) the fly-wheel nut?

On the old engine that suffered a catastrophic internal disassembly I was able to remove the crank-shaft pully nut because the crankase was full of garbage and locked up easy.

But on the new one, nothing to lock up! Normally I'd bung a load of rope down the spark-plug hole but these are L-Head? Flathead? Side-valve? what's the correct term for these? They have the plug in a small chamber offset from the piston and you can't bung em up.

In the past on a smaller tecumseh, when I've had the head cover off anyway, I've simply taken it off again, slipped in a 22mm socket, back on, tighten up, flywheel off but on this briggs thers so much heat shielding and faffing I couldn't be doing with it.

Again the old engine appeared to have a plastic ring gear (for the starter motor) and I thought this would be the same and that I couldn't sprag it; but when I took the cover off. lo! twas metal, so spragged the ring gear and the crankshaft pulley bolt slipped undone as if it was only done up yesterday; so bit of a result.

But, just for future reference, how DO you chock it up for taking off the flywheel nut?

And lastly, between the engine and the crank-shaft pully-shaft there is a bush/thrust bearing/spacer. One side is flat one side is concaved. Unfortunately it fell off and rolled away during the dismantle. Any idea which side is up?

Thanks in anticipation

Yourn

Impact gun on the nut,check threading on nut.

or you could jam it with a piece of cloth between ring gear and starter motor,if your careful (depends on how well starter motor is attached)

1 hour ago, htb said:

Impact gun on the nut,check threading on nut.

or you could jam it with a piece of cloth between ring gear and starter motor,if your careful (depends on how well starter motor is attached)

hi htb, thanks for that, but tis a field job not in a workshop and anyway don't have an impact gun cordless or otherwise.

Starter motor is flimsy! But has given me the idea of wrapping a canvas belt around the fly and overlapping it back to work on the principle of an oil filter wrench which might work

• Like 1

So back to the engine swap.

Donor is a Hayter Heritage.

After removing the engine I noticed this.

Loop in front goes round crank-shaft pulley.

IMG_5255.thumb.JPG.965566bf5bec7a4bb1624f881157f508.JPG

All I can say is, "I'm glad I'm not replacing that drive belt".

I mean, what sick mind thought of that?

In other news, I can confirm rust on the fly-wheel doesn't matter*: bolted it to the chassis and jump started it. Him went chugger chugger vroom chugger!

Very Happy Days

Yourn

*Does cause f loads of thick blue smoke to belch out the zorst on start up though :)

20 minutes ago, htb said:

Quite normal that, just a ball ache to change

Ah! o.k. ta.

I guess you just got to hope it never needs doing huh?

To change belt remove steering column; to remove steering column remove engine.

'Sorry boss, cat, worms, vet; laters'.

The mended tractor -mtd- has a slightly different arrangement: the steering mech is higher up and the belt goes underneath.