Stihl Autocut 40-4 strimmer head, Probelms

drinksloe

Alright

I must admit i have never needed to do an awful lot with strimmers so not massively familar with them.

Bought a new stihl auto cut 40-4 line strimmer head for my stihl strimmer.

I really struggle to keep the head on the strimmer fine if u keep it going but as soon as u back of the revs/idle the head comes of the strimmer?

Any ideas wot the problem is? Quite a big stihl strimmer not entirely sure the model number as bought it at an agri auction a few years ago (but 1 of the square shanks higher up) Strimmer goes ok, well does all i need it for bu really annoying with this head constantly falling off.

There is a small gap between the head and thread on strimmer even when fully tight (bent a 4" nail before i was screwing it on so tight) i tried putting some washers in the gap but couldn't find any washers big enough to see if tightening u the gap would help

Also the head never seems to feed line properly. Meant to be 1 u tap it on a stone but never seems to be any play in the centre part

i did just try that but couldn't find any big enough and not got any metal drill bits big enough either.

Althou just thinking i might have some gate snek washers somewhere.

Wasn't sure if that was wat the problem was?

Still got the feed problem too thou

Aye i did take it back when i 1st got it but he reckoned the strimmers just generating to much

power??  He did suggest a bit of loctite on threads, i never done it as i put a blade on occasionally too

Think i've had it 3 years now, i think last year it wasn't too bad for spinning off but worse than ever now

Just thinking aloud, do u think if i put a spring washer on it would help?? Keep the tension on

13 hours ago, drinksloe said:

There is a small gap between the head and thread on strimmer even when fully tight

A i said before ...untill you eliminate the above this will happen . A suitable spacer or washer or better still bin it and use an Oregon Jet Fit Head .

30 minutes ago, drinksloe said:

I was told that was the correct head for that strimmer and u hsave even more probs with non stihl heads, but it may come to that if i can't get the feed working better

Cheers

It may well be the correct head but usually there is a selection of washers or you have left something else out of the stack up .  Not keen on bump feed heads my self . thats why I use a Jet Fit .

• Like 1