To fell or not to fell?

AllTrees

Bit of professional advice please. One of the 80ft grey poplars had an overly extended lower horizontal limb. This was already scheduled in for a reduction to reduce leverage but has unfortunately broken out, tearing into the trunk beyond the collar.

A clean prune of the damaged limb cannot  made. Should the tree therefore be pruned back to "Good wood" effectively felling it? I'm not a fan of  grey poplars and find they deteriorate and rot very quickly 

20180604_134905.jpg

20180604_134833.jpg

20180604_134804.jpg

On ‎04‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 21:15, skyhuck said:

I think once the weight  is removed the split will pretty much close, I would simply make a standard pruning cut back to the collar.

I cant make a standard pruning cut back to the collar because the tear goes into the trunk. With the limb removed we can see that wood decay has already set in which caused the limb to fail. I think the whole thing is going but thanks for the input

On ‎09‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 21:00, Danos said:

And maybe crown lift other branches to match

There are no other branches to crown lift. the trees are all heavily one sided and all have planned works to try to reduce the leverage and balance the crowns. It looks like British waterways or whoever managed canals before may have cleaned off all of the limbs over the canal. 

I’d still go with Skyhucks advice as if works are planned to reduce leverage and balance crowns there appears to be an ongoing plan for management of the trees therefore the likeliness of some sort of continuing monitoring?
Even though ifs ‘only’ a grey poplar it seems a tad extreme to completely remove what looks like a reasonably healthy tree
The darkening of the heartwood, although an early stage of decay, doesn’t mean its likely to fail anytime soon particularly if the rest of the tree is being reduced. Just my opinion.

• Like 1