ECHO 2511 Is a STIHL OR SUGIHARA Bar and Chain best ?

arboriculturist

Does anyone know if you need an extra link in  the Stihl 10" chain - to fit the 2511 ?

Yes you do. I made this mistake the other week and bought 3 chains. Instead of sending them back as I needed it the next day, I drilled an extra hole in the bar. At the moment I only drilled on the one edge as the opposite bar hole is the oil hole and I didn't know if drilling the extra hole there would make it leak through the redundant hole. At the moment there's around 1/3rd of the oil hole showing and sufficient oil is getting to the bar.

4 hours ago, mattplace said:

Yes you do. I made this mistake the other week and bought 3 chains. Instead of sending them back as I needed it the next day, I drilled an extra hole in the bar. At the moment I only drilled on the one edge as the opposite bar hole is the oil hole and I didn't know if drilling the extra hole there would make it leak through the redundant hole. At the moment there's around 1/3rd of the oil hole showing and sufficient oil is getting to the bar.

I seem to recall on the Tiny Echo historic thread - Use a standard 10" Stihl Bar, no need to drill, just have an extra link fitted to the Stihl 10" chain.

I think people started drilling the Stihl bar so they did not have to have an extra chain link fitted to each new chain.

Steve B has a 2511 - he should know !  STEVE ?

Thanks Matt - What exact chain components are added to lengthen the chain?

1 drive link I believe. I was trying to add a screenshot from chainsawbars website but says wrong file type.
If you put the saw type into their website it tells you the chain length.

Ive seen Northern arb supplies are now doing 1/4 chain really cheap. I've heard mixed reviews on their chain but at a third of the price, it's worth a punt!

1 drive link I believe. I was trying to add a screenshot from chainsawbars website but says wrong file type.
If you put the saw type into their website it tells you the chain length.

Ive seen Northern arb supplies are now doing 1/4 chain really cheap. I've heard mixed reviews on their chain but at a third of the price, it's worth a punt!
The ms150 chain northern arb do is 2 quid cheaper than the stihl ones from l and s engineers.
  • Like 1

The ms150 chain northern arb do is 2 quid cheaper than the stihl ones from l and s engineers.

I've just looked thinking L&S must be a bargain... £18 inc vat in L&S or £8 in Northern arb for a 56 dl chain. Granted its not a 1/3rd cheaper but over half price.
You can't buy a 57dl chain from them either.

? You'll have to order 2 with northern if you want free delivery then wait for a fortnight.  

If you buy to with l and s it's 9.80 a chain or something of stihl ones. Or was last time I ordered. There is usually some other bits I need so the few quid postage isn't an issue. 

Screenshot_20180306-072620.png