Opinions on forestry tow vehicles

This is a question that has no doubt been asked before, but looking for peoples opinions on forestry tow vehicles. 

I'm going to need one later in the year, and the obvious choice that I keep coming back to is a Toyota Landcruiser VX80 series. Reading about the 100 series that followed it, the independent front suspensions seems to be a bit of a weak point. The old school reliability of the VX80 appeals, and the fact that it is supposed to be comfortable too is a plus. 

The older Nissan Patrols appeal too, but I still haven't quite recovered from my Navara ordeal, so very nervous about anything with a Nissan badge on it. 

Defenders are out as my height precludes me from being able to drive them more than about half a mile. 

All I need is something that is comfortable, reliable and has cruise control. I'm still recovering from a long term back and right leg injury and I need time away from pedals when driving. 

Any other options? Budget £7-8k. 

I love the Mercedes Sprinter 4x4 but they are daft money. 

Don't want a Japanese pick up again as they aren't practical (massive overall size combined with dinky cab and difficult to access load bed) and they don't seem reliable. 

I also don't need a super modified hardcore offroader as the trailer is going to be the limit off road, not the tow vehicle.

I too am looking at getting a vehicle specifically for heavy towing and 4x4 is a must.

Looking west rather than east though!

Currently interested in the two trucks below, both F250, both diesel V8 (6,4 and 7,3) towing will probably be similar fuel consumption as a Jap pickup!

Hopefully will go see the 6,4 on tuesday. down side is its a HGV (3,6 ton empty). I do have the license though and the tax and insurance is far cheaper being hgv.

90,000km, 3,5t towing, 1 ton on the back, cheaper than a new cap 4x4, but prob still a bit dear really.

The older, 7,3 would be better, B licence, 3,5t towing, £12k. Unfortunately its been chipped for performance and owned by a snowmobile kid, so likely to been thrashed (not good for essentially a lorry engine i've been advised)

Still tempted, and next weekend i won't be too far away from it to have a look...

There is a couple other 7,3s for sale now, similar price, better condition and half the km, but only registered to 3 ton towing.

7421426127.thumb.jpg.d35f7479866afbbd0c74403a8985c14c.jpg

8155126249.jpg.8fe07e092134d73afe18df567356485e.jpg

• Like 1

They are amazing trucks Josh, and I'd love to have one, but the issue here is the teeny tiny roads and the sheer size of American pick ups. In Sweden, you've got such a strong passion for American vehicles that I'd bet that getting spares is quick and painless too. 

Either way, you'd have fun in both of them I think!

Havnt really got the answer because all the decent old school stuff seems to be getting a bit long in the tooth for my liking. Disco 2 TD5 are going for not a lot and £5k would buy you a very good condition one. Can tow 3.5t, comfortable and generally seems like the TD5 is a good yoke. Easily available parts- which is almost the sole reason why I’d not look into something American.

id not bother with any of the modern 3.5t trucks myself, but plenty seem happy enough with them.

True Matthew, but unlike Land Rovers, you shouldn't be needing to order parts every other week :lol:

Normally when ive ordered from the States, stuff arrives within a few days.

Mike Hill's got a short wheelbase, 2 door Chev Tahoe with a 6,5 TDV8, shorter than a defender 110, wider though. I visited last weekend, picked me up with it with a tipping trailer and 2 oak logs, gotta have been 2 ton. From the passenger seat you couldn't tell there was a trailer on! 

I guess general availability of the vehicles would be a problem for you. Old land cruiser does sound a wise choice

2 hours ago, josharb87 said:

I too am looking at getting a vehicle specifically for heavy towing and 4x4 is a must.

Looking west rather than east though!

Currently interested in the two trucks below, both F250, both diesel V8 (6,4 and 7,3) towing will probably be similar fuel consumption as a Jap pickup!

Hopefully will go see the 6,4 on tuesday. down side is its a HGV (3,6 ton empty). I do have the license though and the tax and insurance is far cheaper being hgv.

90,000km, 3,5t towing, 1 ton on the back, cheaper than a new cap 4x4, but prob still a bit dear really.

The older, 7,3 would be better, B licence, 3,5t towing, £12k. Unfortunately its been chipped for performance and owned by a snowmobile kid, so likely to been thrashed (not good for essentially a lorry engine i've been advised)

Still tempted, and next weekend i won't be too far away from it to have a look...

There is a couple other 7,3s for sale now, similar price, better condition and half the km, but only registered to 3 ton towing.

7421426127.thumb.jpg.d35f7479866afbbd0c74403a8985c14c.jpg

8155126249.jpg.8fe07e092134d73afe18df567356485e.jpg

horrendous.