Arb books/literature

steknapp

Just now, steknapp said:

Tree ID and pests I think, want to have a look at climbing/rigging and knots too

Collins do a good tree ID book which you will probably find cheapest on Ebay or Amazon. There is an Arborist's guide for pests and diseases which is good, and a Tree Amenities group one as well. For the rigging, the ISC book I mentioned is great. I don't climb but it helped me greatly as a groundie in understanding the climber's end of the rope. I have a little sort of flip book of plastic coated cards for knots in my rigging bag which is a handy reference. I think I got it from F R Jones but I couldn't swear to it. Hopefully somebody else can help with suggestions for books on climbing.

The City and Guilds Level 3 Forestry and Arb recommended books for Unit 312 - Tree Pests and Diseases are:

Bevan D. 1987. Forest Insects. The Stationery Office Books. ISBN 0117102008
Butin H, Lonsdale D and Strouts RG. 1995. Tree Diseases and Disorders: Causes, Biology and Control in Forest and Amenity Trees. Oxford University Press. ISBN 0198549326
Fay N, Dowson D and Helliwell R. 2005. Tree Surveys: A Guide to Good Practice. Arboricultural Association. ISBN 0900978388
Gregory S and Redfern D. 1998. Diseases and Disorders of Forest Trees: A Guide to Identifying Causes of Ill-health in Woods and Plantations. The Stationery Office Books. ISBN 0117103381
Lonsdale D. 1999. Principles of Tree Hazard Assessment and Management. The Stationery Office Books. ISBN 0117533556
Mattheck C. 2007. Field Guide for Visual Tree Assessment. Karlsruhe Research Centre. ISBN 9783923704590
Peace T. 2001. Pathology of Tree and Shrubs. Trollius Publications. ISBN 0953971813
Phillips DH and Burdekin DA. 1992. Diseases of Forest and Ornamental Trees. The Macmillan Press Ltd. ISBN 0333494938
Prior R. 1994. Trees and Deer: How to Cope with Deer in Forest, Field and Garden. Swan Hill Press. ISBN 1853104329
Schwarze F, Engels J, Mattheck C and Linnard W. 2000. Fungal Strategies of Wood Decay in Trees. Springer-Verlag. ISBN 3540672052
Schwarze F. 2008. Diagnosis and Prognosis of the Development of Wood Decay in Urban Trees. ENSPEC.
Strouts B and Winter T. 2000. Diagnosis of Ill-Health in Trees, 2nd Edition. The Stationery Office Books. ISBN 0117535451
Weber K and Mattheck C. 2003. Manual of Wood Decays in Trees. Arboricultural Association. ISBN 090097835X

Quite a few of these books have been recommended on ArbTalk at some point.

This has been taken from the link below; for the C&G Level 3 F&A handbook which lists recommended resources after the unit outlines so simply find the units you are interested in and scroll to the end of each unit for the recommended books.

https://cdn.cityandguilds.com/ProductDocuments/Land_Based_Services/Forestry_and_Arboriculture/0077/0077_Level_3/Centre_documents/0077-03_L3_Cert_Subsidiary_Dip_90_Credit _Dip_Dip_Ext_Dip_in_Forestry_and_Arboriculture_QHB _v2-1.pdf

Unit 308 for Advanced Arboricultural Practices (ie rigging) with a mention of the aforementioned Jepson.

Hope that is helpful as a large starting point.

Kind Regards,

Lynher Training