Upgrade help

Glide

Hi I’ve been running a Stihl woodboss 028 for the last few years for small jobs but I’ve just got in a bulk load of firewood timber and the saw is suffering well more me as it hates a continual load I’m having to get it looked at weekly 

I’m thinking of an upgrade to either a Stihl ms181 Cbe or the 251 cbe both easy start 

are they worth it or should I be looking at other easy start models? 

Thanks 

Ms 241...best "little" saw around.

Hardy,ballsy and easy to start/run.

Ms181's are ok but bulky and heavy for the 2bhp output as for the 251 its gutless unless on a 14" bar.

Ms 241 is a great saw.

Does it have to be stihl or would you conscider other brands?

Echo or husqvarna..

Edited by stihlmadasever
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, stihlmadasever said:

Ms 241...best "little" saw around.

Hardy,ballsy and easy to start/run.

Ms181's are ok but bulky and heavy for the 2bhp output as for the 251 its gutless unless on a 14" bar.

Ms 241 is a great saw.

Does it have to be stihl or would you conscider other brands?

Echo or husqvarna..

Not fussed on type really just wanted to upgrade to a saw that’s gonna not have to be fixed weekly 

plus starts easy I’m only cutting max 12” width anyway 

only reason for still brand is that I’m in Ireland so hard to other than Stihl

Hi,

Stihl would make you believe easy start & easy chain tensioners are essential. The reality is they're a pain in the arse. Easy start is prehaps OK if you really can't manage a conventional pull start but its more to go wrong. Easy chain tensioners never seem to get the right tension & need continual adjustment, the good news is its possible to convert a 250 back to the conventional two bolts. To me the 181 & 251 are better without these. As for flip caps: Ive seen them leak due to incorrect spec of the rubber seal, break, gather crap in every crevice & not work properly. I recall Stihl replacing some in America where consumers have more rights, indicating (to me ) a design defect, mine on a 250 both broke the replacements are slightly better. Some people love them, not me.

Anyway, none of the above get your fire wood cut any better, if you must have Stihl look at MS 241 which is a great saw, otherwise take a look at Echo, Husky or a Dolmar: 42cc - Dolmar 420, 50cc - Husky 346 S/H but rare, 60cc - Echo CS620 70 cc - 365xt  for example, not sure what your budget is hence range.

Edited by NFG
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, stihlmadasever said:

If its only small stuff and it has to be stihl id recommend a stihl ms 180.

2bhp can run a 12 or 14 " bar and its all mechanical so no fancy electronic settings that go tits up after 6 weeks.

Avoid the 181, seen 2 go pop in the last year back and forth to the manufacturer.

Yes, the 180 seems better than its replacement, neighbour has one and rips quite well on short bar. I would like one of these when the 250 goes https://www.amazon.de/Dolmar-700420012-PS420SC-38-Benzin-Kettensäge/dp/B0014E6RT4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1511127462&sr=8-1&keywords=Dolmar+420&dpID=41pF-lhoEuL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Edited by NFG
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, NFG said:

Yes, the 180 seems better than its replacement, neighbour has one and rips quite well on short bar

I had a little 180 for god knows how long,i got it off an old fella for 80quid in great nick.I never serviced that saw in at least 3 years and it started easily and happy buried its little 12 inch bar through stuff a 251 would bog down in..

When it died i almost lost my manliness and cried.

Just great little saws