Stihl 026 Cutting Out :|

Hank

So a few days ago I bought a used 026 off eBay (thanks in part to the help on here) and got around to using it for the first time today. 

After using it fine for about half an hour it's now having trouble starting. It started happening when I was putting it down and letting it idle for 15-30 seconds, it'd cut out/stall. Then it wouldn't start at all. Now it'll start and idle when it's on "warm start" but once I blip the throttle and the master control goes to run it dies. 

Hoping I haven't been sold a dud :(

Any help appreciated!

Update: it seems that this only happens once it's hot and being used at full throttle. I got it running again and kept it from stalling by keeping the revs high but once I put it to work it died within about five minutes of use.

An 026 will be getting on a bit now, so there's a chance seals, and rubbery parts will be starting to stiffen and wear a bit. 

An issue that arises when unit is hot suggests that it's either to do with expansion and contraction. I.e part is fine when cold and contracted, but is failing when heated up and expanding. E.g seals, etc. 

Or another shot is ignition module failure. When hot, the teeny tiny solder connections in the module move apart and break contact, then re-join when cold. 

As usual, nothing is certain without seeing the unit.

Edited by Stretchsaws
bloomin autocorrect1

What's warm start ? There's choke, fast idle, run and stop on the control lever on my Stihls. Squeeze the trigger and push the lever all the way down for choke, when it coughs pull the lever up one notch with the trigger still locked to start on fast idle. Let it run for a few seconds then trigger it to knock fast idle off and it's in the run position and the next up is the stop. Push it back down one to start again or go back to the fast idle if it's not warm enough to start. Get it warmed up then try speeding the tickover up then turn the H&L screws in until they seat gently and back out 1 turn (it might be marked on the plastic around the holes)

You can check the spark by pulling the plug and reconnecting it to the wire then placing it near the cylinder and pulling saw over ( switch on) you should see it sparking. Also check the compression when hot, is it really easy to pull over? Hold it up by starter cord and see how quick it drops to the ground, shouldn't just fall straight down.

Was it an ebay/paypal purchase?

I was going to go through the rigmarole of checking carb settings and running a compression test but then I thought, what's the point? It was described as "Starts and runs as it should. Stripped, Cleaned and Serviced, Ready for work" on eBay and that isn't the case so it's going back.

In the seller's defence he does have good feedback, all from Stihl products. Annoying but oh well. 

There's definitely a part of me that wants to get to the bottom of it but I'd rather get the money back. A shame as when it did work it felt great!

4 minutes ago, el barto said:

I was going to go through the rigmarole of checking carb settings and running a compression test but then I thought, what's the point? It was described as "Starts and runs as it should. Stripped, Cleaned and Serviced, Ready for work" on eBay and that isn't the case so it's going back.

In the seller's defence he does have good feedback, all from Stihl products. Annoying but oh well. 

There's definitely a part of me that wants to get to the bottom of it but I'd rather get the money back. A shame as when it did work it felt great!

Yea , probably the best bet . If you are going to send it back as " not as described " best not to mess with it .

Just now, Stubby said:

Yea , probably the best bet . If you are going to send it back as " not as described " best not to mess with it .

Agreed! But thanks for the help guys, appreciate it. Incidentally, what's the best way to get oil and petrol out of each tank? Each is about half full. Just pour it out into something?!

1 minute ago, el barto said:

Agreed! But thanks for the help guys, appreciate it. Incidentally, what's the best way to get oil and petrol out of each tank? Each is about half full. Just pour it out into something?!

Yep . Old Isaac Newton will take care of it .