Stripped 365x-torq spark plug

TTownsend

So my 365 spark plug has threaded in the cyclinder, got it sent off to be heli-coiled, but the blokes done a poor job and it's came straight back out. So I fancy myself having a crack but I'm unsure on what's best to a rethread kit or heli-coil ??

Also wondering what size I would be after.

cheers chaps 

I would suggest that getting some cheap kit off ebay is a short cut to trashing the cylinder! I invested in the correct kit some time ago and includes various taps, reamers and wrenches. I use a mix of helicoils, stainless or carbon steel inserts depending on hole size and damage.

The issue here is that the original repair has failed, this is probably due to the receiving thread being poorly formed by a cheap tap or the repair been poorly carried out. If a new insert is a loose fit when this thread has been chased out, you will be forced to go to the next size up of insert. This will depend on the land around the hole, your insert and tap system......welcome to my land! The benefit of solid inserts is that you can use thread-lock on them.

8 minutes ago, spudulike said:

I would suggest that getting some cheap kit off ebay is a short cut to trashing the cylinder! I invested in the correct kit some time ago and includes various taps, reamers and wrenches. I use a mix of helicoils, stainless or carbon steel inserts depending on hole size and damage.

The issue here is that the original repair has failed, this is probably due to the receiving thread being poorly formed by a cheap tap or the repair been poorly carried out. If a new insert is a loose fit when this thread has been chased out, you will be forced to go to the next size up of insert. This will depend on the land around the hole, your insert and tap system......welcome to my land! The benefit of solid inserts is that you can use thread-lock on them.

Ah I'm glad I posted this because the place I was heading was eBay. As the cyclinder is in good condition I think I'll just take it into someone else with the proper kit and know how. Thanks a lot!