Stihl MS181, Hard to pull cord,wont start.

mickyblueeyes

That piston looks fine. If you get to the point where you can pull it over, do yourself a favour and heat the plug with a plumbers lamp as it helps a flooded or oiled engine fire once the fuel is pulled through. The oil and fuel residue may swamp the spark plug when you first try to start it!

• Like 1

Que a Fanfare of Trumpets,the damn thing is fixed,da da der da.

Right first and foremost i would like to thank everyone on here for all your invaluable help with the posts you have saved me nigh on £100 notes which i don't have spare at the moment ,so cudos to all again.

Right well now you want to know what i have done to fix it,and i want to say that Mr Spud u Like came up with the goods initially and put me on the right step,the problem i had as you may have gathered by now was the addition of some 3 in 1 light machine oil through the plug hole  on the advice of one very good experienced car mechanic friend of mine.We thought at the time that this was a good idea as the saw had stood for three years,and it was not offering to pull over smoothly at all upon first inspection.little did we know but this just compounded our problem which led to the saw for want of a better term  going into a state of Hydraulics.

This led to us thinking that even more oil was needed so we did add more oil only to make matters worse still .

Because of this excess oil addition resulting in extra compression in the saw being as hard as fk to turn the thing over with the pull rope i decided to follow Spuds advice to the letter over night last night,and thankfully the bulk of the oil was ejected,however upon refitting the muffler the damn thing was still a bastard to turn over so i thought can only be one last thing to try.........

I Won't reveal what I did just yet,so come on guys ???What did i do to get the little beauty purring .Oh and this particular thing had been the most likely result of what we did three weeks ago,thinking logically.

Edited by mickyblueeyes

42 minutes ago, Mark_Skyland said:

Exhaust was full of oil?

Edit, I guess your picture shows that now!xD

Correct Mark,Hence the reason it was hard to to pull the saw over,the oil had collected  inside the muffler because the oil had to go somewhere and the Muffler was it's easiest escape route ,this in turn led to the higher compression at the top end.are well we live and learn don't we.

I just left the muffler soaking in petrol for 4 hours and all the gunk came out.It's now spinnin over like a gud un.

MOV01356.MPG

Edited by mickyblueeyes

Jeez,  that's some oil slick :D

Yeah,  I can sort of see the problem,  exit in the exhaust is quite high up, higher than the exhaust port. And there's a stupidly small internal passageway inside the exhaust that would stop the oil draining even when you tip the saw forward.  Ho-hum. Easy in hind sight innit...

So, how big was that mysterious blue cloud over Heanor today then ? 9_9  

Oh it was a very large blue mysterious cloud bud, at one point i thought the neighbors would be ringing 999.

There was rather a lot of gunk that reared it's ugly head mate to be seen no more i hope ,like  you say it explains it all doesn't it as you correctly point out the oil would not drain from the exhaust port that easily,at least if you ever come across this again you'll know where to look,i'm now a happy Bunny again thanks to you lot.

Guess what i'll be doing tomorrow.:thumbup: