CS50 - Techniques For Dealing With Damaged Trees

bob

personally i think the unit is too big and indepth for as you say highway guys

i personally think a smaller limited unit that if they needed winches electric ect should call a proper tree team in

maybe there was scope for both?

I have done literally thousands of storm calls and have only twice needed a winch in 22 years

we have highway guys with 30 31 that attend some but if its a proper job they call the tree team and if the description is big or dangerous then call out guys just ring us

just hope tomorrow is not too bad as on call again

I do agree there is a need for something like this

though lantra dont seem to be offering training for it yet:blushing:

• 1 month later...

the system is a bit of a choccy teapot arbocop!! im telling training providers that i want a full card, to be replied with "theres no point". ive just had sooo many different stories from different people that i dont kno if im coming or going anymore!! iv been registerd to be an nptc assessor for over two years now, and i still havent had my technical virefying yet!!!!! now when im paying my own cash to go on courses that i want to do to better myself, you'd have thort that training providers would make the effort to improve the qualitys and standards of this industry. unless they are only in it for something else?

seems like a usefull ticket to have but tbh it overlaps windblown trees and how often do you get a situation where you can set winches up etc , normally we are expected to clear the road of powerline asap .

I was wondering why there has not been a CS unit introduced for climbing and making safe dammaged/ strom dammaged trees . Back in the last storms we were working with another company and the majority of their climbers only hold CS38&39 and to be honest it was quite shocking watching what a couple of them were prepared to do and actually thought that what they were about to do was acceptable , i drew the line when i was asked to climb a turkey oak that had heaved its root plate and all that was holding a 60 foot tree up was 3 11kv powerlines of which had partially burn through the stem where the tree and powerlines had made contact !

• 1 year later...

There is an article in the March FCA about CS50. My biggest consern with it is people tackeling big trees that really need the knowledge, skills and experence you get in CS32 to do. But because they've done a windlown ticket they think they can handle.

I do think its good that there is some rope assessted felling stuff in there.

This unit in my opinion is a waste of time, most of the content within CS50 is covered by other units but there also bits that are of relevance to our industry, that said NPTC would have been better re jigging the original units rather than introducing new ones. CS 34 should only require cs 30/31 as its pre-requisite and should have a maximum diameter as in 31. Cs 32 should include assisted felling (rope/winches not just wedges) and CS 35 should include removal of damaged limbs from the ground and, possibly have a part b for aerial removal of damaged limbs with a pre-requisite of cs 41

Simply my opinion:thumbup1: