Stove getting water

Ballooball

Reading the text before looking at the pictures I was expecting to see an old style (built) chimney.  That would probably have given rise to a fairly straight forward flashing, pointing or capping defect allowing water ingress.  Having now looked at the pics that might be less likely - but not out of the question.

Has it been regularly swept?  If not, could be an annual accumulation of internal deposits combined with either water ingress or condensation bringing tar down with it as it runs down the inside of the flue.

First courses of action I'd take - get it swept, run it hot, burn some of those "flue cleaning" products that are available! (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stovax-Protector-Chimney-Cleaner-Sachets/dp/B002VRTH9K)  

If you've already done that it might be water ingress from external. 

Edited by kevinjohnsonmbe
  • Like 1

Your cowl suggests the rain can't get in through the top so I reckon it's condensation rather than rainwater. Mostly on rainy days will be because the chimney is being kept cool by the rain allowing more condensation to form.

I am going to guess you have changed your fuel from very dry, well seasoned logs to logs that are a bit greener and have a higher moisture content. Possibly more softwood of late which would account for more tar.

Can't see from the external photos but check that the flu sections are connected the right way - each section should slot INTO the one below it, so when condensation and rain ingress runs down the inside of the pipe it stays inside and eventually runs into the stove or fireplace. It should be the opposite of how slates overlap, many people get it wrong. I can see where the black stovepipe mates with the twinwall the overlap is wrong, but it looks like the seepage is coming in further up the pipe.

Can't see from the external photos but check that the flu sections are connected the right way - each section should slot INTO the one below it, so when condensation and rain ingress runs down the inside of the pipe it stays inside and eventually runs into the stove or fireplace. It should be the opposite of how slates overlap, many people get it wrong. I can see where the black stovepipe mates with the twinwall the overlap is wrong, but it looks like the seepage is coming in further up the pipe.