Credit where it's due

Arob

I just wanted to throw a line for our Prime Minister

plus column

1. he has kept financial services industry (our biggest source of tax revenue) in this country

2. he is credited by the winner of the Nobel prize for Economics as a key figure in helping avoid global financial meltdown

3. he has, in the past week, called for a global response to that near meltdown, pushing for international legislation on the financial services industry (currently the fsi have free reign, if any country tightens legislation they will look to take themselves and their taxes elsewhere)

4. he is recognised as one of the foremost leaders when it comes to campaigning for action against global poverty

5. he is recognised as one of the foremost leaders when it comes to campaigning for action against climate change

6. he took the time to hand-write a letter of condolence to a mother whose son had lost his life in service for his country

minus column

1. he isn't very pretty to look at

2. he isn't a real charmer

3. he hasn't got the nicest smile

4. he isn't too good at kicking a ball around a park

5. he isn't, and hasn't married, a pop-star

6. he made a couple of spelling mistakes

Now I'm not a big fan of politics, but I take my hat off to him, he deserves far more credit than he's got. People are so easily distracted from reality; it wasn't duck houses and all that that nearly knacked the economy, there was greed on a much grander, more organised scale.

Mr Brown is now calling for an international response, and it is only by all countries acting together that legislation can be passed to prevent that whole cycle of greed from re-establishing itself.

Already big bonuses are back, banks are due to make record profits, Fred the Shred is old news, but a man who is trying to take them on, who has already shown some real balls, is being criticised in the most small minded ways.

This week it's the letter, the last one was his eyesight. I for one hope this doesn't stop him from making the kind of changes we need to see.

Well that's just my tuppence worth.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arob;

Thanks for that, I had a good laugh.

I take it that you are a GB supporter. He'll be writing out a personal letter of thanks to those who voted for his party next May.

It won't take long and he'll have plenty of time on his hands.

Yours will be the one adressed to 'Arab'

Hahaha, thanks very much, didn't think anyone would bother to read that let alone reply! :biggrin:

Does anyone want to pick over the bones though? I think all the statements in that first post are accurate.

(btw I'm not a GB supporter, and haven't a track record of supporting politicians but I do think that this latest stuff is way ott hence my post.

As TCD says we get the Government we deserve, but if all we ever do is snipe and make snide attacks then we'll only ever have a crap Government - as who else but people out for themselves would want to put up with that crap? And no I'm not being paid to say this!)

SSS says of GB, "Could equally be said that he has been a key figure .... in a government whose policies have led to 'global financial meltdown'" and I don't dispute that, but I would say that it may only be a partial analysis. Financial Services are biggest single tax payer in the UK so as chancellor he had no option but to entertain them, what's the alternative - he'd be accused of encouraging them to move and destroying the UK economy! (In my view the easing of regulations by the Bush admin in the US had massively more detrimental and damaging effect.)

As I say, nation states can't tackle this alone, corporations are too big and have too much power, only through international agreements can this be tackled.

That's why I say good on him, it's all too easy to slag people off, much more difficult to provide workable alternatives to their proposals.

Happened to hear this on the radio today BBC iPlayer - The Media Show: 11/11/2009 which is quite interesting as it explores some of the likely motives for the latest hoo-ha.

Arob;

Thanks for that, I had a good laugh.

I take it that you are a GB supporter. He'll be writing out a personal letter of thanks to those who voted for his party next May.

It won't take long and he'll have plenty of time on his hands.

Yours will be the one adressed to 'Arab'

:lol: Thats a cracker,

I am not a fan of Gordon Brown and never will be, I feel he has a lot to answer for, he was Chancellor when this country went through 10yrs of unprecedented growth and what did he do ? well he certainly did'nt save for a rainy day, and did he really believe his own "end to boom and bust" speech. On the latest issue, if I was writing a handwritten letter and I made a mistake, I would scrap that page and start again. I know it's open season on him, but he's got to go, imo

I am not a fan of Gordon Brown and never will be, I feel he has a lot to answer for, he was Chancellor when this country went through 10yrs of unprecedented growth and what did he do ? well he certainly did'nt save for a rainy day, and did he really believe his own "end to boom and bust" speech.

On the latest issue, if I was writing a handwritten letter and I made a mistake, I would scrap that page and start again. I know it's open season on him, but he's got to go, imo

I've heard these kind of headlines, boom and bust and all of that, but who would you cite as being a good example of Chancellor, who has saved for a rainy day and how did they manage to do that?

Can't the guy get credit for taking the time to write the letter, they aren't just hollow words, yet as part of a wider campaign, some people prefer to make petty remarks about spellings or handwriting. In this case it is The Sun who are stirring it up, but in the final reckoning what good have they ever done? They have a long history of provocation (just ask anyone from Liverpool) and in this case they have been far from impartial and clearly have an agenda.

Edited by Arob

the sun were using a bereaving mother to sell papers by whipping the whole spelling thing up and i do agree that GB taking the time to write to people that lost servicemen and women takes balls.

however, a man that comes to power (as chancellor) and sells ALL the uks gold reserve when gold is at its lowest price for 15 years will always amaze me. a used car sales man wouldnt have done that. ( with respect to used car sales men)