Alaskan saw mills

Chris Harris

The dougie fir is relatively soft, in comparison to the yew. It was planked using the 066, as I hadnt sorted the auto-oiler by then, but it did cut nicely, plenty of oil from the motor unit. the 090 oiler button is on the right side of the trigger handle, which makes it v awkward to operate, hence the auto oiler. If you refer to the website listed somewhere on this thread, they do recommend a oiler for longer bars, but then they do sell them!!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's good to see that you're getting good results on the dougie with standard chain. I've just got a ripping chain for my mill and the difference it makes is noticeable, both in finish and speed of cut. I would recommend getting some if you're going to cut Oak and the like, or bigger widths. What's the dougie going to end up as?

:wave:

Dito, got ripping chain for mine for the hardwoods the cut and speed is better and quicker:icon14:

It's good to see that you're getting good results on the dougie with standard chain. I've just got a ripping chain for my mill and the difference it makes is noticeable, both in finish and speed of cut. I would recommend getting some if you're going to cut Oak and the like, or bigger widths. What's the dougie going to end up as?

:wave:

Bigger widths???!!!, that douggie is just about 30" wide now!! As for what I'm gonna do with it, well it'll probably be a bench top or something, till I get an offer on it then it'll be sold I suppose.

How much are you paying for ripping chain?

Ooops, misjudged that one then!:banghead:If it's that big then the results are even better than I thought!.

That's about as big as I go, unless you want go to 48-56" double power head units.:scared:

I got my ripping chain from a fleabay shop - alaskan mills search would find it, but thought it was expensive. If you are of a mind you could grind off some regular chain to the same format, easy enough to get the pattern from the link below

http://www.granberg.com/ripping_chain.html

It may even be worth getting a reel in from the states, by the usual routes?

Finally, got the auto-oiler set-up on the 090, so she's now doing the job she was bought for. Oil tank courtesy of Atco lawnmowers, oil line courtesy of Chipper-tech, tree ties to hold tank in place. I've put a shear pin in the oiler hole to keep the oil directed into the bar, seems to do the job nicely.

On the subject of chains, talking to someone yesterday, they reckoned a full skip chain is more efficient than the Alaskan ripping chain, any thoughts anyone???

5976533de0e87_DSCF1126(Small).JPG.84920cb1d16d4f96a8d5756d04690b8d.JPG

5976533dddf89_DSCF1125(Small).JPG.4e3962364c7e168dd1607256814d55ea.JPG

, talking to someone yesterday, they reckoned a full skip chain is more efficient than the Alaskan ripping chain, any thoughts anyone???

are you trying to comparing full skip chisel to a full compliment ripping chain or a skip ripping chain? if so the same amount of cutting teeth will cut a cleaner faster cut with the ripping chain, (sorry if that makes absolutly no sense! :drunk: )

I have to say i doubt with a 090 on it will probably make little difference due to the amount of torque, if it was on you 066 the the skip would be the way to go, i have recently gone from skip to full comp on my 084 and it really doesnt seem to give it chance to clear the chips quick enough even on a 36" bar.

Ummm dont know now what he was talking about, (goldfish memory). have to phone him sometime and see if he can explain again to me. Up-date on the mill, planked some well dry rock hard knurly twisty oak, looks good to my inexperienced eye! So glad I opted for the power of the 090 now :icon14: