Chain sticks when turned by hand...?

Toby in Buckinghamshire

If the clutch drum is a bit oval or your clutch bearing is dodgy it will catch. If it spins freely no problem.

Thanks Peatff. Just to confirm, in the below picture which piece are we talking about? The one on the left or right?

mc03Y3WTaxCduBC6NOwEOww.jpg.d3b00b614092aacd8233407a651b1b67.jpg

If you mean the bit on the right (which I have been referring to as the sprocket) then yes it spins freely.

If you mean the bit on the left (which I thought was called the clutch) then I haven't tried to spin that.

Thanks

Toby

Sent from my SM-G930F using Arbtalk mobile app

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Peatff. Just to confirm, in the below picture which piece are we talking about? The one on the left or right?

[ATTACH]219144[/ATTACH]

If you mean the bit on the right (which I have been referring to as the sprocket) then yes it spins freely.

If you mean the bit on the left (which I thought was called the clutch) then I haven't tried to spin that.

Thanks

Toby

Sent from my SM-G930F using Arbtalk mobile app

The bit on the right is the clutch drum . This , in your case , has a " spur " sprocket attached . The more pro type saws have just a clutch drum and a separate " rim " sprocket that can float from side to side a little as its on a spline .

The bit on the right is the clutch drum . This , in your case , has a " spur " sprocket attached . The more pro type saws have just a clutch drum and a separate " rim " sprocket that can float from side to side a little as its on a spline .

Thanks Stubby.

In that case, given that the clutch drum spins freely, it looks like it's either the wear on the spur sprocket that's causing the issue?

I changed my 260 to a rim sprocket from nearly new as there were a few issues with your type sprocket being manufactured off centre and damaging the needle bearing.

Buy a new bearing and rim sprocket from a dealer who will advise on part numbers etc. and let us know how it performs?

I changed my 260 to a rim sprocket from nearly new as there were a few issues with your type sprocket being manufactured off centre and damaging the needle bearing.

What we're the symptoms with this 'off centre sprocket' - a description might help the OP to determine if it's the same issue. I can imagine a frequent tight - loose - tight - loose etc type feeling as the chain is pulled round....

bmp01

What we're the symptoms with this 'off centre sprocket' - a description might help the OP to determine if it's the same issue. I can imagine a frequent tight - loose - tight - loose etc type feeling as the chain is pulled round....

In short: unlikely to be relevant.

That was (and still is, IME) the 261 and it was the other way round. The problems were rumoured to be to do with a bad run of rim and spline sprockets. Less frequent problems with spurs.

Worn/disintegrating needle nearing; worn clutch drum; unreasonably wobbly clutch drum; overheating bar, chain and side plate; "cut off" oiler arm; stalling when idling; unable to start with the chain brake on; ultimately, worn crank so replacing the bearing and drum (and oiler arm, again!) no longer "fix" the problem.

Never had a sticking chain (that wasn't due to a fault in the chain) in 3 261s that all suffer the above to some extent.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

As Pileswasp said, I may have got that the wrong way round but can't remember. I did it as a precaution in order to avoid the symptoms later that his post goes onto in detail.

My thought was if the sprocket was off centre then the chain tension will not be uniform but not so apparent.

OP, has the chain tension been checked for a full lap of the chain?

As Pileswasp said, I may have got that the wrong way round but can't remember. I did it as a precaution in order to avoid the symptoms later that his post goes onto in detail.

My thought was if the sprocket was off centre then the chain tension will not be uniform but not so apparent.

OP, has the chain tension been checked for a full lap of the chain?

Hi. Yes, I have tested for several full rotations but I don't think I can notice an obvious pattern.

I'll have another thorough look tonight.

Sounds like a rim sprocket would be a better solution anyway so will speak to local dealer about it.