Breaking news to someone that they're not as skilled as they think they are?

flatyre

Straightforward good bollocking rounded off with, right let's crack on, get it up and laid back right.

I'm just old school, you mess up, you get what's coming learn from it and move on. The key bit is no long faces after and all forgotten about by brew time.

Every day is a school day in my book, and if you get taught a new trick then give the person some appreciation and say I'm having that thanks.

Had a 30 tonne long reach picked up a few weeks back by a huge low loader with a 22 year old driver. The lad showed Greg and I a trick with a rusted up ratchet binder we both looked at each other and nodded in approval. Had some good banter about a young pup showing us the ropes.

It's your job, from your description I like your style, and I would be exactly the same. Pulled a bricklayer up for messy work once and he said tidy doesn't pay, the reply nor does messy get your flask and f@@k off sorted that!

Nip it straight in the bud, you are really only ever as good as your last job.

Eddie.

get the laser level out and ask him to check the levels and fall.

Explain your sure the lines were set right before you left so cant see what has gone wrong and it needs to be redone.

If at this point he don't fess up feel free to crack on with a good bollocking per previous replies.

In my experience starting out all guns blazing (even when you know your in the right)leaves both nowhere to go but row as it gets the blood up, so if its someone you want to try and make a bit bitter for your next job bear it in mind if not slap him silly.

In the olden days (not that I know anything about them, but I read some books and watched a few things) - the working men took their trades seriously. They wore tweed caps and smokes pipes, or cigarettes if they were younger and trendy - and had to undergo a gruelling apprenticeship before they were afforded the honour of calling themselves a whatever.

Most people lived in small communities, even in cities, neighbourhoods were "small" and reputation was key to success in life. There was little or no state welfare to fall back on if you couldn't find work, and to be a lazy bum was socially frowned upon.

So guys didn't **** about treating paid work like a game. They grew up quick, learned their trade and took pride in producing a good product. I think if modern men went back to wearing flat caps and smoking pipes, the quality of the trades would improve dramatically in a few years....

In the olden days (not that I know anything about them, but I read some books and watched a few things) - the working men took their trades seriously. They wore tweed caps and smokes pipes, or cigarettes if they were younger and trendy - and had to undergo a gruelling apprenticeship before they were afforded the honour of calling themselves a whatever.

Most people lived in small communities, even in cities, neighbourhoods were "small" and reputation was key to success in life. There was little or no state welfare to fall back on if you couldn't find work, and to be a lazy bum was socially frowned upon.

So guys didn't **** about treating paid work like a game. They grew up quick, learned their trade and took pride in producing a good product. I think if modern men went back to wearing flat caps and smoking pipes, the quality of the trades would improve dramatically in a few years....

I used to work with a few of them on the land.

Always worked hard a the proper way.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Arbtalk mobile app

thanks for the advice folks, tried to draw some middle ground between boss and bast**d, let him work on until he got to the point where his flags didn't work in against the kerbs, then politely told him we couldn't leave the job like that until it was right (Friday afternoon and he was on a plenty of fish promise) so standards picked up rather quickly:thumbup1: This has been my first taste of being an employer if you could call it that and I've learned a lot, my fault as I brought him in un tested to cover while I had to leave site, will call on him again as he is a good grafter, just lacks the finishing finesse. In future he will be relegated to cement mixer/paving fetcher until he understands two key points, 1, he's not as good as he thinks he is, and 2, he won't get that good if he doesn't listen to those who know. Again much appreciate the input folks:thumbup: